Details: Salary commensurate with experience with great benefits.
520 8th Avenue
Reporting to the Associate Publisher, the Development Associate will support the fundraising team and work to diversify and expand the donor base. He/she will execute solicitation strategies for gift renewals and upgrades, perform research on prospective donors, prepare grant proposals and help manage planned giving program.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about The Nation and independent journalism and able to effectively communicate the case for giving to prospective donors. He/she will have top-notch written and interpersonal communication skills, the ability to work productively and proactively both independently and within a team, and excellent time management and prioritization skills. This position requires direct response marketing experience, the ability to understand and interpret fundraising metrics and knowledge of industry best practices.
The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild of N.Y., CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO. This position is a 5-day per week, full time position with great benefits.
- Work with Associate Publisher to create compelling marketing materials to promote various fundraising opportunities to key constituencies.
- Draft correspondence to existing major donors and work with key stakeholders to solicit annual gifts.
- Conduct research on current and prospective donors to determine their philanthropic interests and capacity.
- Help develop and implement upgrade strategies for mid-level donors.
- Implement donor cultivation, recognition and retention strategies.
- Implement strategies to expand membership in planned giving program, market planned giving to current supporters, steward existing planned giving donors and follow up on estate distribution.
- Ensure all mid-level & major gifts are acknowledged promptly and accurately and that donors receive continued correspondence on the impact of their gift.
- Assist department with securing foundation funding, including managing calendar of reporting/deliverable deadlines, preparing meeting materials and helping to edit grant proposals.
- Coordinate logistics for donor meetings and events.
- Record, track, and report on progress toward fundraising goals.
- Maintain effective systems for tracking prospects and donors through the donor database.
- Other duties as assigned.
● At least 3 years of successful fundraising experience
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Ability to work independently and efficiently, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
● Some knowledge and experience using donor databases preferred (Raiser’s Edge or equivalent)
● Knowledge of fundraising best practices and industry trends
● Commitment to The Nation’s mission and interest in progressive politics
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.