91 Larkspur Street
Canal Alliance seeks a talented candidate to join our dynamic fundraising team, which is collectively responsible for raising over $5 million in annual revenue with an eye toward improving our fundraising capacity and efficiency.
The Development Coordinator is a full-time position that works closely with and reports directly to the Development Director. The position also works alongside other members of Canal Alliance’s dynamic and cooperative fundraising, marketing and volunteer management teams. The Development Coordinator is primarily responsible for executing daily fundraising activities in support of Canal Alliance’s fundraising strategy and plans. Specific tasks include but are not limited to coordinating the annual appeal process; conducting outreach, engagement, cultivation and stewardship activities for individual and small business donors; writing appeal letters, newsletter articles and donor marketing materials; providing grant writing support and supporting analysis and reporting on fundraising goals and accomplishments. The position demands effective customer service/sales capabilities, good writing skills, and an understanding of data management and analysis to help sustain and grow fundraising capacity.
Duties and Responsibilities
Individual Donor Stewardship, Cultivation and Support
· Coordinate all aspects of the annual fundraising appeal, including drafting letter and electronic appeal content, segmenting and cleaning up mailing lists, preparing in-house mailings, coordinating with the printer and mail house for bulk mailings, and following up with donors via email and phone.
· Coordinate and implement effective donor cultivation and stewardship events, and ensure effective engagement and follow up activities for individual and corporate donors at events hosted by and for Canal Alliance.
· Serve as the initial point of staff contact to address donor needs by responding in a timely manner to individual and corporate donor inquiries through telephone, written correspondence, and personal contact.
· Coordinate effective stewardship of individual donors and prospective donors including preparing special mailings and emails to donors, and writing personalized thank-you letters.
· Provide support to staff members, board members and volunteers involved in solicitation of major gifts from individual and corporate donors.
Data Management and Gift Acknowledgement
· Oversee the effective use of Salesforce database for tracking donor and gift information.
· Ensure the accurate and timely entry of gift and donor information into Salesforce.
· Ensure that acknowledgment letters for all gifts from individual and corporate donors are processed in a timely manner.
· On a monthly basis, reconcile all gifts in Salesforce with accounting and finance records.
· Manage donor relationships by entering all notes about donor conversations, information and activities into Salesforce in a timely manner.
· Ensure that protocols for gift acknowledgment are maintained at all gift levels.
· Conduct prospect research by utilizing Wealth Engine and other tools to research prospective major individual and corporate donors, and prepare and file profile reports.
· Facilitate systems for identifying and tracking major donor prospects, gifts, payments, recognition and continuing stewardship, including use and reporting of moves management system for major donors within Salesforce.
Fundraising and Grant Writing
· Assist with writing and producing fundraising and marketing materials for internal and external audiences in conjunction with the Marketing Manager and other members of the Development team.
· Assist with writing and submitting grant proposals to corporate and foundation funders.
· Guide and oversee Development volunteers to support individual giving and research efforts.
Fundraising Analysis and Reporting
· Provide regular reports on activities and fundraising accomplishments as requested by the Development Director.
· Monitor and report on progress and results toward fundraising and donor engagement goals.
· Support the Development Director to analyze data in order to effectively report on fundraising results and implement adjustments to maximize methods and strategies.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Qualities Required
· Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to engage
individuals and groups.
· Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, with the ability to think strategically, creatively problem solve, and exercise good judgment.
· Data literacy skills, with competence in finding, manipulating, managing, and interpreting data.
· Good writing and editing skills.
· Proven ability to work within dynamic teams and build strong working relationships with
colleagues, and the ability to interact and work effectively with Directors, Board members, front-line staff, donors, community leaders, public officials, funding agencies, businesses, and clients.
· Ability to work with minimal supervision, handle multiple tasks, and manage demanding
situations effectively, while showing initiative and being anticipatory rather than reactive.
· Effective time management and work organization skills, with a high attention to detail.
· Excellent computer and technology skills, including facility with internet navigation, social media channels, databases, and Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience Required
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a related position.
· Knowledge of Latino, immigrant, or low-income communities.
· Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of fundraising.
· Bilingual in Spanish and English.
· Experience with fundraising in a non-profit organization.
· Experience in data analysis, especially using Salesforce/NGO Connect or similar.
· Bilingual/biliterate (English/Spanish).
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
Only electronic applications will be accepted. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Development Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required