The Development Coordinator is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director. This position works closely with the Executive Director and the Development, Membership and Communications Manager to maintain and grow the base of patrons supporting the organization to meet fundraising goals. This position assists with major donors, foundations, special events, and communication with the Board of Directors.
- Coordinate the recognition and stewardship of major donors; prepare thank-you letters
- Schedule major donor meetings for executive staff
- Prepare monthly donor updates and other materials and communications
- Assist in organizing major donor events
- Draft the annual report published in American Poets magazine
- Conduct prospect research
- Assist with regular Board communications
- Assist with annual Board appeal mailings and follow up
- Assist in preparing Board meeting materials
- Assist in organizing Board events as needed
- Assist in grant proposal preparation; draft narratives, reports, and prepare supplementary materials
- Maintain the calendar of grant proposal and report deadlines
- Conduct foundation research
- Assist with annual fundraising event at Lincoln Center
- Other development and fundraising projects as needed and assigned.
- 2-3 years experience in nonprofit fundraising work
- Impeccable communication skills, written and oral, and attention to details
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and a sense of humor
- Able to balance multiple constituencies
- Able to manage multiple projects
- Able to work independently and be self-directed, as well as part of a team
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, Google applications, email communication platforms; Raisers Edge or CRM experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Familiarity with the poetry community and a passion for poetry, a plus
Health care, generous PTO.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates may email a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Benka, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. The Academy of American Poets does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.