40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC’s newly launched Analytics Team focuses upon learning how to better mobilize and inspire our activists, donors, supporters and audiences to take action for a clean and healthy environment, then translates those findings into actionable strategies for our colleagues who manage our campaigns and outreach efforts. The Analytics Team seeks an Email and Web Analyst to carry out our analytics efforts to inform our email outreach, website/UX and mobile advocacy approaches, and to collaborate with our Content Marketing Director on analyzing our editorial, marketing and campaigns content. The Email and Web Analyst will play a leading role in helping us validate and implement new data-driven ways of engaging our supporters online. This Analyst will work closely with two other Analysts and a Content Marketing Director, and it will report to the Director of Analytics. This is currently a term limited position which is expected to continue through June 2020.
- Formulating and fleshing out ideas for testing and experimentation, guiding colleagues on other teams through the testing process, and providing final analysis and recommendations.
- Suggest and validate approaches to smarter, more effective segmentation and tailoring, and provide list-building, task automation and ongoing analysis to colleagues on the Digital Advocacy and Fundraising team who will implement these approaches.
- In concert with the rest of the Analytics Team, determine what models are needed across channels, and contribute to the building and maintenance of these models.
- Collaborate with Analytics Team colleagues to recommend and test cross-channel strategies.
- Manage and build dashboards and reports that allow the organization to perpetually assess the health and effectiveness of our email, web and mobile outreach, as well as our campaigns and marketing efforts.
- In conjunction with the Analytics Director, advise colleagues on the Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Team on development of metrics and KPIs to guide their work.
- Conduct day-to-day/short term and long term analyses that help NRDC to make smart decisions and grow its engagement and base strategically over time.
- Serve as the Analytics Team’s point person to the Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Team, providing insights and analysis as well as serving as the go-to person and thought partner for their analytics needs.
- Be the Analytics Team’s expert on our email, mobile and website data.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; preferred background or demonstrable skill in science, technology, engineering or mathematical fields, or in the social sciences with a quantitative focus
- 1-3 years of experience analyzing digital data
- At least one year of R or Python coding experience (Python preferred) in an analytical environment; at least one year of SQL experience; 1-2 years of experience and knowledge of modeling and machine learning algorithms preferred
- Experience with Action Kit or other similar content management platform, Google Analytics / Tag Manager / Optimize, and mobile platforms
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistics preferred
- Solid understanding of digital advocacy
- Ability to design valid experiments with minimal guidance
- Ability to think creatively about new tactics we might test, and to support and collaborate with the Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Team and other colleagues in brainstorming and ideation
- Strong communication and presentation skills, and the ability to convey complex and technical information to non-technical audiences in a way that is not just comprehensible, but inspiring
- Good relationship management skills
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required