Assistant Director, Alumni Relations
- Job posted by Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
Reporting to the Director, Regional Clubs and Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director, Regional Clubs is the primary alumni relations liaison to specified alumni club regions in major and smaller markets managing volunteers and diverse communities, as well as other projects assigned.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Partners with alumni volunteer leaders in key areas/cities in specified regions to create and sustain healthy and vibrant University relationships and alumni clubs; develops and manages innovative regional programs designed to inform alumni of key University initiatives and encourages alumni participation and involvement in the life of the University; creates and manages programs in specified regions that connect alumni to prospective and current students; transmits key University information and messages in both group and individual settings.
· In conjunction with the Senior Associate Director, serves in an advisory capacity to club leaders in specified regions by assisting them with segmentation and outreach, categorization requirements, communication tools (branding toolkit, chapter pages, succession planning, communications, club formation and leadership transition).
· Supports colleagues in development, school-based alumni offices, and campus offices (admissions, career services, Global Centers, family programs, etc.) to cultivate alumni and develop intercollegiate programs, such as athletics, internship, and mentorship opportunities; develops new areas/clubs in specified regions which demonstrate potential for alumni engagement and growth.
· Researches and cultivates individual alumni with volunteer and/or giving potential and recommends these volunteers to appropriate parties for special consideration and greater University involvement. Uses appropriate metrics, tracking, and assessment tools to measure activity including the University metrics system, ROI, attendance, number of active volunteers recruited.
· Builds the pipeline of alumni volunteers in specified regions by organizing programs to welcome new graduates and fosters alumni connections, including but not limited to Columbia Connects, alumni leader weekends, and other CAA signature programs.
· Manages committees associated to their regions or larger CAA related initiatives as assigned.
· Assists with other clubs, priorities, special projects and events as assigned.
· Manages budgets as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent years of experience required. A minimum of three (3) years of related experience; must possess a proficiency with Microsoft Office. A valid driver's license, passport, and willingness to travel is required. Some night and weekend work will be required.
Must be able to confidently and comfortably speak in public. Public speaking experience in front of large, diverse audiences recommended. Must have experience in marketing and be able to creatively and sensitively approach brand management for a highly prestigious educational institution. Experience working with volunteers and the ability to work with volunteers through leadership transitions. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communications skills, including a high level of attention to detail and active listening skills. Must be able to problem-solve and troubleshoot, in additional to the ability to work independently in a dynamic team environment. Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a diverse group of administrators. Must be able to negotiate issues, resolve problems and have strong influencing skills. The successful candidate must be a strategic thinker, effective in moving strategic agendas, politically savvy, ensure the utmost discretion in all matters, as well as possess an ability to work well with all levels of management, both internally and externally, be flexible in nature, have a sound judgment with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization. Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Prior experience with the use of a complex database and a fundamental understanding of working in a complex environment required (academic environment preferable). Knowledge of alumni relations encouraged.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Minimum Education Required