The Executive Director is the key management leader of the Syrian American Council. The Executive Director is responsible for giving direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s philosophy, mission, strategy, and annual goals and objectives. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors and enables the Board to fulfill its governance function and operational activities.
About Syrian American Council (SAC)
SAC is a multi-ethnic, multi-confessional, non-partisan organization that includes members from all segments of Syrian society, and has over a dozen chapters nationwide. It is an organization devoted to community organizing, awareness-raising, youth empowerment, media outreach, advocacy, and support for Syrians seeking to build a free and democratic Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Board Governance: Works with the board to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading the Syrian American Council in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Reporting to the board includes but is not limited to: monthly narratives, quarterly progress evaluations, minutes of relevant staff meetings.
2) Communication: Represent the Council in the community at large and to the board.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Through marketing and public relations, publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals externally and internally.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
3) Finance: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Syrian American Council, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget, that reflects the national strategy adopted by the board, developed in consultation with the Executive Committee and monthly financial statements, prepared in consultation with the Board Treasurer, which accurately reflects the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support the Syrian American Council’s mission.
- Work with the staff, Development Director, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated personnel, execute legal documents.
- Jointly, with the Development Director, pursue grant opportunities.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of initiatives that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the Syrian American Council can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the Syrian American Council’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
4) Management: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the effective administration of the Syrian American Council’s operations.
- Responsible for hiring and retaining competent, qualified staff and for firing staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization that does not conflict with the Syrian American Council’s Bylaws.
- Ensure job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the
- total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people.
- Promote active participation by the board, volunteers, and members in all areas of the organization's work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the fields of non-profit management, public relations, or political and grassroots advocacy – Capitol Hill and Federal agencies experience strongly preferred.
- In-depth understanding regarding the US government and political advocacy and, the current situation in Syria
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 40% of the time post-COVID-19.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, or a similar field.
- Familiarity with the Syrian conflict and Middle Eastern affairs is required.
- Experience working in the Syrian conflict (political or humanitarian) is a strong asset.
- Proficiency in Arabic is required.
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
The Syrian American Council has committed to the goal of building a diverse staff and a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.