12-11 40th Avenue
Long Island City
JOB TITLE: Financial Fitness Counselor (Youth Pathway Program)
Location: Staten Island/Manhattan/LIC/Various
About Urban Upbound:
Founded in 2004, the mission of Urban Upbound is to break cycles of poverty in public housing neighborhoods by providing youth and adults the tools and resources needed to achieve economic mobility and self-sufficiency. Urban Upbound advances its mission through five integrated programs: employment services, financial counseling, income support services, community revitalization, and access to safe and affordable banking through the Urban Upbound Federal Credit Union. Our services are reared in the Jobs-Plus model, a proven place-based employment program designed to increase the earnings and employment of working age public housing residents. Jobs-Plus uses a three-pronged approach which includes: employment-related services; financial incentives that make work pay; and community supports for work, the strengthening of social ties among residents and community stakeholders to support residents' job preparation and work efforts.
Urban Upbound seeks a Financial Fitness professional to join our dedicated team as a Youth Pathway Financial Fitness Counselor. Candidates must be capable of successfully supporting Transitional Age Youth (ages 16-24) with financial education that will set them on a sustainable and financially mobile trajectory as they develop and pursue a successful career. The Financial Fitness Counselor provides a range of financial services that are tailored to the needs of individual participants, from changing participants' attitudes towards their financial futures and goal setting, to credit repair and debt management, to long-term asset building of higher education, homeownership and retirement planning. The Financial counselor is someone who is flexible, open and caring to the greater population. You will be on the front lines of poverty alleviation, working with an innovative city organization, which is constantly changing and evolving its tactics towards tackling poverty in NYC. The ideal candidate would have individualized financial fitness counseling experience with clients from diverse economic, cultural and social backgrounds including low to moderate income. Additionally, the ideal candidate would have prior experience working with youth between the ages of 16-24 years old.
- Provide specialized assistance to youth ages 16-24 in the areas of financial education and liaise with other youth programs to provide holistic support and career growth
- Financial counseling with lower-income New Yorkers, helping them achieve financial stability and mobility; measuring impact with specific weekly and yearly goals.
- Provide preventative and proactive financial fitness education about, and assist clients with complex issues of personal finance, including legal aspects, such as wage garnishments, judgments, bankruptcies, etc.
- Conduct/coordinate group education and informational seminars utilizing youth centric interactive lesson plans and presentations.
- Assists clients in understanding their financial capability including, credit report analysis, budget, savings and action plan preparation
- Conduct client intakes and individual counseling/education.
- Respond to client inquiries, monitor progress of participants and assists participants to understand affordability and non-delinquency issues. Provide early intervention as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and provide administrative support by maintaining client records, inputting data in multiple data bases, arranging for client appointments, generating status reports and notifying clients of meeting dates
- Provide outreach and general marketing services to the community regarding Financial Fitness and other Urban Upbound programs and services
- Flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends are required of this position.
- Duties will be required to be performed in Staten Island, Manhattan and Long Island City Queens a great percentage of the time; including at other various locations within the five boroughs as determined by the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree- required
- Prior experience working with youth 16-24 year old
- Prior workshop and presentation experience
- Prior work experience working with low income communities helpful
- Spanish language proficiency preferred
- Financial Fitness Counseling experience preferred however, you must be committed to taking the CUNY Personal Finance course, as mandated by NYC’s Office of Financial Empowerment
- Must be based in NYC Metropolitan area and able to travel between offices
- Willingness to travel is a must (drive or use mass transit)
- Prior experience working with youth population, including lower income youth
- Commitment to helping social empowerment and economic development
- Genuine passion about money management is essential, although advanced knowledge on topics may be learned on the job
- Client focus and adaptability to different personality types and age groups
- Independent self-starter with strong teamwork abilities, as you will be given a lot of autonomy in managing your own clientele
- Flexibility in working towards the larger mission of Urban Upbound, as this may involve a lot of experimentation in approaches to working with clients and referrals to other programs
- Creativity in your approaches to working with people. Ideas are welcome here, including on improving client service delivery through technology, integration and communication methods
- Training provided in various topics, including technical content skills, management skills, operational management, and analytical skills
- Flexible schedule, committed to work-life balance
- Provide you with challenges to develop your personal and career development skills
- We provide medical and dental insurance, 403b, commuter pass program and generous vacation and sick days, as well as a very nice team to work with
Sick. Health. Vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual. Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Include Financial Fitness Youth Pathways Counselor in the subject line .