Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for an Area Director to oversee our work across the Middle East and North Africa. The Area Director will work with a team of Program Managers and partners to grow Smile Train’s cleft treatment programs, impact and reputation in the region. The Area Director will develop and implement effective and efficient programmatic strategies, in line with regional and global objectives and guidelines. They will be tasked with broadening our programmatic work throughout the region, with particular focus on Afghanistan, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, and Uzbekistan.
The Area Director will report to the Vice President and Regional Director for Asia. The incoming Area Director will work from a home office, in a highly networked environment; they can be based anywhere within the region though Egypt is preferred. This is a full-time position starting as soon as possible.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Analyze and understand treatment partners and grant recipients in order to ensure that programs are aligned with the overall goals, mission, priorities and policies of the organization.
- Develop innovative and cost-effective initiatives and strategies to increase patient mobilization and treatment awareness to spread the ‘message’ and increase the impact of the organization.
- Establish measurable targets, specific checkpoints, and ongoing oversight of programmatic investments as part of the budget planning and implementation process.
- Maintain consistent communication and good working relationships with existing partner hospitals, conduct site visits as requested/needed, and work to ensure the success and safety of current and future programs.
- Identify new Smile Train partners (hospitals and other) that can contribute to the advancement of the organization’s goals and elicit their support. Foster new partnerships following the organization’s protocols.
- Receive, review, and analyze all grant requests from local stakeholders, carry out ‘due diligence’ to ensure these are within the agreed financial authority and plans, liaising across the organization as needed.
- Help elevate the organization’s brand and raise awareness for Smile Train programs by: supporting efforts to share Smile Train’s global messaging locally/regionally; upholding and furthering best practices in comprehensive cleft care; gathering stories and case studies from the field (e.g. photos/videos/stories, etc.); organizing and hosting visits by Smile Train ambassadors, donors/supporters and staff.
- Develop and maintain effective communications with all key external stakeholders (e.g. medical professionals, social/voluntary organizations, government functionaries, media, and patients/families) to leverage their resources for significantly expanding and multiplying Smile Train’s programs across the region.
- Act as a representative, point of contact, and spokesperson for Smile Train and serve as the ‘eyes and ears’ for the organization in the region. Speak up when and where necessary about the organization’s aims, values and practices, keep track of cleft-related issues and developments and share this feedback internally and with partners, and attend events as requested/needed.
- Develop resources or generate reports as needed/requested (this may include material translation).
- Proactively respond and work with Smile Train’s regional and global teams so as to keep communication channels open, projects integrated, and the organization moving together.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, such as business, nonprofit management, health, international relations or related field.
- 7+ years of related work experience, including project management, at an international or large national corporation or nonprofit organization (at least 4 years in a formal office setting).
- Professional fluency in both English and Arabic is required. Additional languages or dialects would be an asset.
- Self-motivated with proven ability to lead, coordinate, and facilitate projects and teams.
- Proven track record of managing diverse and remote team members.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with ability to successfully handle issues with diplomacy, tact and cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to prioritize activities efficiently and effectively.
- Comfortable working independently or collaboratively to move projects forward.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office suite and can comfortably and quickly learn how to use new databases or business intelligence software.
- Flexible schedule with ability to travel as needed. Ability to work off hours (on-call), sometimes responding to calls/emails or participating in events early in the morning, late at night, or on weekends depending on programmatic or organizational needs.
Smile Train is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.