The Alliance is seeking a legal assistant to support its Education Program, which provides legal advocacy for foster and probation youth to protect their education rights. The legal assistant will support project attorneys, focusing on enforcing the general education rights of primarily high-school-aged youth to be enrolled in appropriate schools and earning credits towards graduation despite instability in home placements. Duties will include collecting and analyzing education records, conducting oral and written advocacy to protect youth's education rights, and providing community presentations to foster youth about their education rights. Applicants must have the ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE:
The Alliance for Children's Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, ensure that children who are at-risk or in foster care have safe, stable homes and can access the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. We also help transition-age youth overcome barriers to their stability and success, and we work statewide to improve child welfare practices and policies in order to remove the many obstacles that our clients face. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
The Alliance is well known in the child welfare community for its knowledge, expertise, and accomplishments. Alliance staff members and our partnering pro bono attorneys are advocates for our most vulnerable children and their caregivers. Being the voice of young people who often have no voice, and otherwise could be forgotten, is incredibly rewarding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct client interviews, maintain case files, gather documentation for case advocacy from multiple sources, and communicating with caregivers regarding the status of the case.
• Requesting, compiling, and analyzing education records.
• Provide oral and written advocacy to enforce the education rights of foster and probation youth including attending some school meetings to advocate for student enrollment and graduation rights.
• Provide community “Know Your Education Rights” trainings to foster youth.
• Administrative duties including data entry, filing, and drafting letters.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Strong interpersonal skills and desire to help people
• Strong organizational skills and writing skills
• Preference for bilingual (Spanish/English)
• College Graduate plus 1-2 years relevant experience working with youth and/or low-income communities preferred
• Experience with juvenile dependency or delinquency courts and school systems is helpful but not mandatory
The Alliance is seeking a legal assistant to support its Education Program, which provides legal advocacy for foster and probation youth to protect their education rights. The legal assistant will support project…
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or marital status. The above statements are of a general nature and are intended to describe the level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
The Alliance for Children's Rights offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For more information about the Alliance visit http://kids-alliance.org.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants…
TO APPLY: To be considered, please email your cover letter and resume to Jill Rowland at the Alliance for Children’s Rights, email@example.com. Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position.
TO APPLY: To be considered, please email your cover letter and resume to Jill Rowland at the Alliance for Children’s Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses will be sent only to…