45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979. NMIC has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their matters resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including legal representation in immigration related matters, housing, financial services and health related matters.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers residents to collectively secure long term and larger scale improvements to their basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: Housing Paralegal
Department: Legal Services
Reports To: Manhattan Coordinating Paralegal
Location: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, New York, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
NMIC’s Manhattan Housing Paralegal works with our highly skilled and experienced, interdisciplinary legal team. Assists all attorneys with client housing-related matters. Provide paralegal assistance to NMIC clients and clients referred to NMIC for issues related to housing
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Give clients advice on housing court cases under supervision and in consultation with a NMIC housing attorney supervisor.
- Interview clients and assess cases for legal representation.
- Refer cases to housing attorneys as necessary.
- Prepare government housing subsidy applications and advocate for public benefits.
- Collaboratively develop approaches to affordable housing retention.
- Maintain daily and consistent case notes and status updates in NMIC’s proprietary database.
- Organize and maintain client files in compliance with grant requirements.
- Complete additional tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Associate’s degree or paralegal certificate will be considered.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in housing law and/or advocacy.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and use of spreadsheets.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements. A combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive and generous benefits package: medical, dental, life, and disability insurance are included; paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please address all applications to Rodrigo Sanchez-Camus, Esq. Director of Legal Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements
All attachments must be submitted in Word or PDF format. No telephone calls, please.