Chicago Sinfonietta, the nation’s most diverse orchestra, has an exciting open position for a Director of Marketing & Patron Services
Chicago Sinfonietta, a professional orchestra with a mission of equity, diversity and inclusion, seeks a full-time Director of Marketing & Patron Services for immediate hire. Through high artistic standards and a cutting-edge mix of guest artists, Chicago Sinfonietta has been carving its path for over 32 years. Music Director Mei-Ann Chen leads the orchestra to gather diverse talent and sounds from all over the world to redefine what you expect from a symphony. Dubbed “the city’s hippest orchestra…” by the Chicago Tribune, we're pushing the envelope even further now, creating completely innovative experiences that you can hear, feel, and see.
Chicago Sinfonietta is seeking to fill this critical position on its team to further the organization's work championing equity, diversity, and inclusion by creating community through bold symphonic experiences. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside one of today’s most dynamic, forward-looking organizations, within an environment of support and innovation. The Director of Marketing & Patron Services is responsible for planning and supervising all activities related to earned revenue development. The Director of Marketing & Patron Services is tasked with the promotion and management of Chicago Sinfonietta’s brand, promotions, public relations, patron relationships, sponsorships, and any additional support for the organization’s artistic, education programs, and community affairs initiatives. This senior position is charged with assisting the department in guiding the organization toward realizing its mission, vision, and values.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee organization’s strategy and objectives to achieve aggressive earned revenue goals including subscriptions, memberships, single ticket sales, and group sales
- Participate in meetings and negotiations with media partners, sponsors, and outside vendors (printer, mail house, list management, PR firm, etc.)
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of all online, social media, and web-interactive activities
- Support the development team to align on donor relationship initiatives
- Supervise marketing support staff, Box Office, communications, public relations, and content and digital communications, and provide creative direction for graphic designers
- Project manage department initiatives, goals, objectives, and timelines
- Analyze sales and patron data and use effective market research to help refine sales and marketing strategies.
- Create, manage, and execute all marketing strategies to build greater brand awareness and to drive attendance through high quality content development, social media, innovative uses of digital platforms, innovative creative, and other methods as identified.
- Advise the CEO and executive staff on sales and marketing strategies, opportunities, and challenges
- Develop both a retention strategy and new acquisition sales strategy for subscriptions, on various channels to achieve annual sales goal, working with CRM and Box Office
- Oversee and lead the creation of renewal materials including brochure, season previews, letters, etc.
- Create and implement informed strategies to meet and exceed single ticket sales targets, including campaigns to upsell previous single ticket buyers and also acquire new ticket sales and attendance
- Develop and implement strategies to maximize sales of tickets to groups such as corporations, schools, churches and business associations. Group ticket sales involve proactive strategies for reaching prospective buyers, cultivation of new groups, and development of positive relationships with clients.
- Oversee and manage the creation and distribution of all collateral (postcards/mailings, concert posters, program book, student concert notes, flyers, etc.)
- Work with development team to create sales strategies to increase both ticket and fundraising revenue
- Support and coordinate design of collateral for various fundraising campaigns (sponsorship decks, invites, signage, event program books, etc.) and digital communications (eblasts, web pages, etc.)
- Coordinating sponsorship benefit fulfillment
- Oversee and maintain website including keeping up-to-date on good SEO practice, Google ads, Google Analytics, and other tools
- Maintain accurate and up to date subscriber and show files as well as performance show sheets.
- Assist in developing and managing all ticketing policies and procedures including the annual subscription campaign as well as new sales promotions.
- Proof read all marketing materials related to ticket sales including print ads, flyers/brochures, order forms, audience magazine, etc.
- Work closely with subscribers and single ticket buyers to determine best seating and/or series available according to their preferences.
- Resolve patron concerns in a timely manner.
- Monitor all unpaid and partially paid ticket orders and send balance due notices as necessary.
- Monitor accuracy of website and shopping cart for ticket orders.
- Manage annual subscription renewals and acquisition
- Manage mailings, telemarketing, outbound sales, digital communication, and all other outreach efforts and Patron Communications
- Track and report progress towards earned revenue goals to board and executive staff, presenting periodic reports to measure new vs. returning SUBs, trends, etc.
- Manage single ticket revenue strategies and programmatic marketing including:
- Oversee digital communication strategy and implementation (social media, eblasts, etc.)
- Oversee the creation of advertising materials and due dates (print, digital, media, etc.)
- Create and distribute personalized marketing toolkits for each concert as well as following up with new patrons to cultivate new single ticket buyers, subscribers, donors, etc.
- Work with PR firm, managing press releases and materials for season announcement, concerts, events, and other organization news
- Oversee the creation and distribution of post-concert audience surveys
- Manage the mailing of renewal notices, tickets and other correspondence with ticket buyers
- Support CS Development department, sponsorship, and fundraising efforts including:
- Support the marketing needs of CS’s broad education and outreach programs
- Attend and support all CS concerts
- Attend Board meetings and prepare materials as needed (annual meeting, reports, presentations, etc.) *as assigned
- Support the activities of the CS board, Associate Board, and Friend groups.
- Assist with various printing needs for customer service fulfillment; i.e. ticket stock, envelopes, etc.
- Represent Chicago Sinfonietta at all ticketed events and act as liaison to the performance venue.
- Generate weekly subscription and single ticket reports
- Coordinate student tickets, education tickets, complimentary tickets, auction requests and other discount ticket programs including exchanges, donations and gift certificates.
- Add/remove names for mailing and e-mail lists.
- Set up a subscription campaign and appeals in CRM for the upcoming season.
- Attend cultivation events as needed.
- Create and manage marketing department expense budget and revenue goals including subscriptions, single ticket sales, and group sales.
- Assist in other duties assigned.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS
- Familiarity with classical music, EDI, music education, and the entertainment industry.
- Preferred availability to work nights and weekends and overtime as required
- High level of reliability, flexibility, and maturity.
- Ability to establish credibility with a variety of individuals at all levels.
- Interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Ability to organize effectively and work independently.
- Ability to deal discreetly with artists, staff, and sensitive information is essential.
- Ability to deal effectively with a large amount of detail.
- Track record of meeting and exceeding revenue goals
- Experience working directly with donors/customers
- Demonstrated collaborative skills with all levels of staff, prospects, volunteers and donors
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to initiate and follow-through on opportunities to engage with volunteers and donors
- Ability to work flexible hours for various fundraising events
The Chicago Sinfonietta offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and in line with similar positions of this scope with similar-sized orchestras in the country and Chicago cultural institutions
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter (including salary requirements) to Noah Cline, Executive Assistant to the CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org