Details: Based on years of experience. Please include your desired range in your cover letter
2125 North Avenue, 3rd Floor
The Mass Liberation Project (MLP) is an effort to end the criminalization of communities of color and low-income people by directly confronting and transforming the current criminal justice system. Ours is strategy for Black Liberation, and for building power to transform the priorities of major city & county governments (and ultimately states as well).
The project originated with a prosecutor accountability campaign in Cook County (IL) that culminated in the candidacy and election of Kim Foxx as the State’s Attorney in 2016. The community organizing behind this effort built a grassroots base and bold agenda for change in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. This became a major movement victory that helped propel prosecutor accountability and elections as key strategies in a growing movement to end mass incarceration. Our ongoing role in the movement ecosystem is to build structured organizing in key jurisdictions to continue advancing prosecutor accountability and structural reform. We work with a set of close national partners, including the Justice Collaborative, Real Justice PAC, JustLeadership USA, Silicon Valley Debug and ColorofChange.org.
The mission of People’s Action is to advance a long-term agenda for racial, economic & gender justice by investing in everyday people and powerful grassroots organizations that win real change in people’s lives. People’s Action trains and supports state & local organizations in more than thirty states to organize and build power for real democracy and an economy that puts people and planet first.The Political Organizer will:
● Train and support local organizers to plan and execute prosecutor accountability strategies, including electoral field campaigns to elect endorsed candidates
● Strengthen existing organizing campaigns overall by providing hands-on support to participating organizations
● Develop and execute trainings for the MLP Cohort on leadership development, political education and jurisdiction-level campaign development
● Work with the Campaign Director for Mass Liberation to develop a national cohort of organizers and directly-impacted people
● Work with the Political Director for Mass Liberation to develop and advance electoral campaigns around local prosecutors elections and other key elections
● Build and strengthen relationships with MLP allies nationally and locally as needed
● Serve as a representative of MLP in national spaces as needed
A strong candidate for this job is...
● Deeply committed to racial & gender justice
● A strong relational leader who can build deep relationships with others, especially directly-impacted people.
● Able to build a team of people who co-own the strategy and work and are driving it forward together
● Familiar with the criminal justice reform field from personal and/or professional experience
● Has at least five years of experience in community organizing and social change work
● Has at least five years of experience in electoral organizing and/or civic engagement
● Able to travel frequently for events and to provide support to affiliate organizations as campaign work dictates
● Willing to hit the ground running and learn from trial and error
● Eager to learn and grow
We have a strong preference for applicants who have been personally impacted by the criminal justice system, either formerly incarcerated or other ways the criminal justice system has harmed them and/or close loved ones.
The People’s Action benefits package includes a very good family medical, dental & vision insurance plan, a 401k plan with employer contribution and paid time off in December in addition to paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing samples and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled. People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.