Bronx Children’s Museum currently exists as a “museum without walls” and serves almost 18,000 Bronx residents annually. The Museum uses innovative mobile programming to engage children and adults in the arts and sciences. The museum also creates temporary exhibits and serves after-school and summer needs throughout the Bronx at community-based organizations, schools, shelters, libraries, local festivals and parks. The Museum has partnered with the City of New York to create a permanent home in a former powerhouse along the Harlem River in the South Bronx that will enable it to serve 75,000 children per year. Construction has begun on the 13,000 sq. ft. site with a total of 7,500 sq. ft. of exhibitions with an expected opening date in late 2021.
Position Description & Requirements:
The Museum is seeking an experienced and passionate Operations Manager responsible for laying the groundwork for and overseeing the transition of the Museum from a virtual museum to one with a state-of-the art facility and smooth-running organization. Areas of responsibility will include, but not be limited to:
- Site Integration Success
- Operations Management
- Building & Bus Management
- Security, Safety & Maintenance Management
Under the supervision of the Deputy of Finance and Operations (DDFO), the Operations Manager will:
- Play a critical leadership role in creating a fully-operational, smooth-running facility;
- Develop and enact institutional operational standards, procedures and protocols;
- Oversee smooth exhibits and arts installation and integration, with ongoing troubleshooting and problem-solving as needed;
- Work with Education and Programs department to ensure the most engaging and safest public engagement experience
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Site Integration Success
- Ensure a smooth Work environment with City partners and the Museum’s Exhibit Design & Fabrication partners to develop and execute a plan and schedule for site integration, exhibit installation, and testing in keeping with the overall construction timeline and exhibit fabrication forecasts.
- Coordinate with consultants and trades to ensure smooth site choreography and efficient collaboration for installation, testing, commissioning, permitting, or other site requirements.
- Work effectively with the building owners and tenants to ensure a positive working relationship.
2. Operations Management:
- In an Operations Manual, develop SOPs and best practices, and establish sound protocols in the areas of building operations, facilities management, health hazards, security, safety, fire protection plan, emergency preparedness and animal handling.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures in preparation for Opening, including Visitor Services, Ticketing/Admissions, Safety, and other critical operational functions.
- Create, implement, and manage office operations; including office space oversight and allocations.
- Cross-train all staff to provide functional support during absences or to address immediate needs.
3. Building & Bus Management
- Oversee the management of BxCM’s building and bus to most effectively serve the changing needs of our constituency, programs, and exhibits.
- Serve as the building coordinator and primary contact for facility issues including weekend and on-call emergencies.
- With the Visitor Service Manager, assure that visitor spaces (exhibits and props) are well maintained and safe, fully operational, and upgraded when needed.
- Ensure that operating equipment, and systems are safe, green, tested on an ongoing basis, and in compliance with all applicable regulatory and governmental codes when possible.
- Working with Site Integration Consultant, create a site-specific plan for installation and operations of the building’s AV, IT, Safety and Security systems.
- Coordinate the installation of all furniture, fixtures and equipment per existing plans and lists.
- Manage assigned projects in accordance with bidding, budgeting, scheduling and stakeholder engagement requirements.
- Respond to IT issues (computers, servers, telephone, internet, AV) and supervise vendors to troubleshoot and problem-solve toward quick and efficient resolutions.
4. Security, Safety, and Maintenance Management:
- Assure the highest level of safety, security, emergency preparedness and COVID-appropriate measures.
- Recruit, train and supervise Security and Maintenance staff.
- Establish, codify, implement, document, and monitor the Museum’s safety, cleaning and emergency policies, protocols, and procedures.
- Create and implement routine maintenance schedules for vendors, and institute protocols for when external parties are in the building.
- Develop and implement operational plans for the Soft and Grand Openings.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree plus at least five (5) years of relevant experience in planning and overseeing museum operations, including Facilities Management, Maintenance, Security, IT, Retail, Visitor Services, and/or other critical functions related to museum operations
- Five-year minimum experience in facilities management, project management and staff supervision
- Strong understanding of construction projections, schedules, and budgets with proven ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Must be organized and very detail-oriented
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills; must be a graceful and effective problem-solver
- Must be a self-starter and function well both independently and as part of teams
- Familiarity with Point-of-Sale (POS) systems a plus
- Experience with NYC Department of Design & Construction (DDC) and/or NYC Department of Parks & Recreation (DPR) a plus
- Familiarity with LEED construction practices a plus
- Connection and familiarity with the Bronx a plus
- Ability to work in a virtual office environment, travel to the Bronx , flexibility to oversee operational programs, visitor services, vendors, security and maintenance related issues as needed during weekends, holidays, and evenings and on-call as needed.
- Bi lingual a plus