Civic Influencers is a national nonpartisan nonprofit operating across the country, on and off campus, in local communities and states, that empowers young people to build their civic power and increase voting rates amongst their peers. They frame their work through an Organizing, Advocacy and Learning model that equips young people with the skills to dismantle barriers to voting while developing their identities as voters and participants in our democracy.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Location: Remote work from any location in the US
Travel: Some travel required
Civic Influencers is seeking an experienced Chief Operations Officer to stabilize and steward the organization’s finance and administrative operations. The ideal candidate is an individual who is capable of instituting change and continuously improving the organization’s finance, administrative and operational practices to support the ongoing growth and impact. The following tasks and duties will fall within the following buckets across the Operations Department including:
- Work with the CEO and leadership team to implement strategic, fiscal, and organizational planning.
- Supervise the Development Team, Finance Team and Co-Chief of Marketing to accomplish their objectives.
- In collaboration with Executive Team members, ensure departmental decisions and project plans align with the organization’s business plan and strategic plan.
- Create detailed work plans for all supervisees, that clearly outlines monthly goals and KPIs.
- Identify, recommend, and implement new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline organizational operations.
- Compile periodic performance reports and metrics for the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Synthesize data and inputs effectively and communicate results so that others easily understand.
- Assist CEO and the executive team with special projects, ad-hoc data requests, and reporting as needed.
Finance Administration & Management
- Oversee the CFO in managing all financial functions, including but not limited to, accounting, budgetary & financial planning/forecasting, internal controls, invoicing, as well as other regularly recurring financial operations.
- Ensure that clear, accessible, user-friendly monthly financial reports (budgets/actuals) and cash flow projections are prepared for the executive team to assist in the organization’s ability to make effective decisions.
- In partnership with the CEO, coordinate the annual audit and tax compliance process. Assist the CFO in liaising with external auditors and tax accountants to ensure compliance with both financial and tax regulations, including leading the preparation and preparing & filing of the filing of the annual financial statements and tax Form 990 with relevant state and federal agencies.
- Track and assist in managing restricted grants, including proper spend down for purpose, time, and to align with budget.
- Review proposals for any funding opportunities prior to submission.
- Manage and administer organizational insurance requirements, including liability with independent insurance providers and workers’ compensation administration.
- Work with the CEO and the senior leadership team to strategically identify and refine new revenue streams and create systems to support them.
- Manage expense submission software (SAP Concur) for employee reimbursements and oversee monthly expense submission and reconciliation process, enforcing existing and implementing new company expense policies, etc.
- Manage relationships with external auditors, accountants, insurance vendors, bank, and facilities managers.
Contracts & Legal
- Liaise and work with external legal counsel and the CEO, in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating all legal agreements to ensure organizational risks are managed appropriately.
- Manage and maintain to ensure compliance with all contractual terms and applicable laws and policies.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Business Management, Finance or a related field required.
- 10+ years of professional experience in organizational management and strategic planning.
- Working knowledge of strategic planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising as it relates to nonprofits.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and summarize data (especially financial) for reports and find solutions to business challenges.
- Problem-solving skills with a track record of balancing fast-paced priorities with important, longer-term strategic efforts.
- Familiarity with and understanding of CRMs and other content management databases, experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Proficient on Google Suite, including Google Sheets and Google Slides.
- Working knowledge of Tableau and Slack a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with other staff, partner organizations, elected and appointed officials, corporate/business representatives, and community members.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, and direct communication.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive, confidential information using excellent judgment at all times.
- Must have a commitment to DEI and cultural competency, including an awareness of one's own cultural worldview, a welcoming attitude towards cultural differences, an appreciative knowledge of different cultural practices and worldviews, and cross-cultural skills.
- A Masters degree in Business Administration or nonprofit management is preferred.
- Experience working in a movement organization, including ones focused on Voting Rights, Social Justice, Civil Rights or Youth.
- Experience working in politics.
- Experience working with or within a higher education institution, People of Color Serving Institutions (PoCSIs, e.g., HSIs and HBCUs a plus).
- Fluent in multiple languages is a plus.
- Must complete data visualization and data gathering trainings hosted by Tableau, and other trainings as required.
- Extremely reliable and available on evenings and weekends for occasional events and conferences.
Start date: for immediate consideration.
Civic Influencers is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or class. We value diversity on our team and strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous people, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities and all qualified persons to apply for our open positions.