Details: Based on experience
810 N. Milwaukee Ave
People’s Action / People’s Action Institute
The mission of People’s Action Institute is to advance a long-term agenda for racial, economic and gender justice by investing in powerful state and local organizations and campaigns that win real change in people’s lives. Through strategic issue campaigns, leadership development, direct action, grassroots and netroots action we engage everyday people and power organizations in more than thirty states in building an economy and a democracy that puts people and planet first.
People’s Action Institute is excited to announce the Housing Justice Campaign Manager.
Overall, the Housing Justice Campaign Manager will stand up and manage a national housing campaign for People’s Action Institute.
Responsibilities will include:
● Designing, in close collaboration with People’s Action affiliate directors and staff, a national-level housing campaign
● Execute and drive an initial campaign on the federal budget including HUD cuts, housing tax policy, housing finance policy.
● Building deep public relationships with affiliate directors and organizers who are invested in building a housing campaign
● Work alongside affiliate directors and organizers to assess existing housing and related work, existing campaign plans and issues, interest in and potential for local and national work moving forward
● Support the local/state-level organizing being done by affiliate organizations on housing policy and practices through visits and phone calls
● Craft and help execute a communications strategy for the housing campaign, in coordination with the People’s Action Institute communication staff
● Manage pass-through grants to affiliate organizations
● Assist in raising foundation and other dollars for the housing campaign, including writing up findings and strategy
● Establish and maintain an affiliate director, staff and leader team, including planning and executing team calls with affiliates that are interested in moving a national campaign to connect and plan
● Staffing national tables as appropriate, including possible coalition work with other national/regional organizations
● Policy work including understanding and writing on federal cuts and policy implications as well as finding or digging into best practices for the retention and creation of affordable units and anti displacement policies locally and federally
● Participate in internal People’s Action Institute meetings and calls
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
● At least 3-5 years of experience in running local, state or national issue campaigns - ideally with a focus on housing issues
● Track record of successfully developing and executing strategies for an organizing or advocacy organization, especially around housing issues
● Top-flight relational skills
● Experience in designing and running direct actions
● Background in at least one aspect of housing policy, such as ramifications of federal policy and federal budgets on affordable housing
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Commitment to racial, gender and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside organizations.
● Commitment to social justice and experience with social change organizing.
● Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
People’s Action / People’s Action Institute’s competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, 401k plan with employer contribution, flexible spending account, and paid time off in December in addition to paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Housing Justice Campaign Position” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. People’s Action Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color and LGBT people are strongly encouraged to apply.