Launched in 2007, the Partnership is a nonprofit organization that serves 14,200 students across 19 campuses in Watts, Boyle Heights and South Los Angeles, California. The Partnership is one of the largest, in-district public school transformation organizations in the U.S., and is not a charter organization. Our priorities are supporting great school leadership, developing highly effective teaching, and engaging families and community partners, all while advocating for broader system-level change. Over the past decade, our high schools have seen their graduation rate more than double from 36% to 80% and college acceptances have risen by 17 percentage points in the last four years from 32% in 2015 to 49% in 2019. Suspension rates across the network are at less than 1%, compared with 21% when we started our work. Learn more about us at https://partnershipla.org/ .
The Partnership is committed to continuously building an anti-racist culture that promotes diversity,
equity, inclusion, and belonging in classrooms and in our home office and at our school sites. College Success Advisors will be individuals who are excited to keep these values in mind when executing day-to-day tasks and responsibilities.
The AmeriCorps VISTA program provides the opportunity for corps members to make a tangible difference in the biggest challenges facing our nation, including lack of access to education. The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is committed to providing all of our students with the preparation that they need to matriculate to the 4-year college of their choice and be successful upon arrival. In order to meet that vision, we understand that there must be a K-12 commitment to building a strong college-going culture. In order to support that vision, we are seeking 4 corps members to serve as VISTA College Success Advisors at Partnership Middle Schools and High Schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Each advisor will support their assigned school(s) with college and career event planning, college readiness presentations, field trips, family engagement, and other related activities. Advisors will also help students navigate the transition from elementary to middle school and middle to high school to support them in transitioning to schools that also support this mission.
VISTA College Success Advisors will spend approximately 80% of their time working at school sites in collaboration with site counselors, teachers, administrators, students, and families. They will spend the remaining 20% of their time collaborating with their colleagues across the network as part of the Partnership College Success Team.
The VISTA College Success Advisor’s key duties and responsibilities include the following areas:
Building Capacity Around School College-Going Culture Systems (50%)
Working Directly with Students and Families to Support their Transition to College (30%)
Learning, Teaming, and Professional Development (20%)
2) Shared Beliefs
3) Minimum educational level:
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full time position beginning in July, 2021 and continuing for 12 months. This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position and compensation will be a living allowance of $829.36 bi-weekly. AmeriCorps VISTAs are also entitled to an End of Service Award (education award or cash stipend), a healthcare allowance, a childcare benefit, relocation travel assistance, and/or a reduction in student loan debt. The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools will also provide a travel reimbursement for those needing to travel between sites.
Please prepare your resume and a cover letter tailored to this position. You will submit your documents using our online application system here.
For technical assistance or questions, please email Melanie Liu (Melanie.liu@PartnershipLA.org) .
Launched in 2007, the Partnership is a nonprofit organization that serves 14,200 students across 19 campuses in Watts, Boyle Heights and South Los Angeles, California. The Partnership is one of the largest…