SUMMARY The Veterinary Nurse will be primarily responsible for assisting the veterinarians and staff in all duties relating to the veterinary care of animals shelter as assigned. These responsibilities will vary with the current needs of the shelter.
- Communicate exam findings and provide direct support to the veterinarian with client and shelter animals.
- Complete thorough medical examinations working with veterinarians and nursing assistants.
- Read and interpret medical records to determine vaccination status and medication needs.
- Performing and assisting with vaccinations of non-fractious and fractious or fearful animals, when required.
- Documenting and maintaining accurate controlled substances logs
- Examination and care of sick shelter animals including cage cleaning, exercising, feeding, observing animals for illness, following disease prevention protocols, knowledge of common diseases, their symptoms and means of transmission, laundry and bathing.
- Performing and working cooperatively with other staff members to accomplish the general cleaning of all areas to maintain a clean odor free clinic and shelter; maintain clinic and surgical equipment such as microscopes and surgical packs; assist in maintaining healthy, safe, sanitary, pleasant and clean facilities for the animals under the care of Morris Animal Refuge at all times.
- Obtaining certification in euthanasia and performing and assisting with euthanasia.
- Perform, read and interpret laboratory tests, complete forms for out-of-house laboratory, filing and scanning of laboratory tests, cleaning up of laboratory areas, data entry
- Admit and release animals in a responsive, courteous and tactful manner and through managed recordkeeping, inform volunteers, staff, and the public of any pertinent medical information on the animal's care; assist staff and volunteers whenever necessary to assure smooth, courteous handling of the public and their pets.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum High School diploma or GED required; some college, trade, vocational school, college or further education preferred.
- Must be proficient using computer. Knowledge of Internet, Microsoft Word and Excel required, knowledge of PetPoint Animal Management System, VIA software and web based software a plus.
- CVT or minimum of three years experience in the veterinary field working as a veterinary assistant or technician.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover-letter, resume, and references to Elisa Mellis firstname.lastname@example.org