100 Gold Street
GrowNYC is looking for a Lead Generation Specialist to support the sales team at Greenmarket Co., New York City’s first and only local food hub. Founded in 2012, Greenmarket Co. was founded on a two-part mission: to create business opportunities that support regional agriculture and to ensure that New Yorkers across the city have access to fresh, delicious, local foods. Today, Greenmarket Co. brings over 500 unique varieties of the highest quality produce, grains, eggs, and more to hundreds of customers in NYC – and we’re just getting started.
It is in that entrepreneurial spirit that we are seeking an energetic and motivated individual who is passionate about local food and interested in starting a career in sales. This individual will be primarily responsible for generating and qualifying new business opportunities for our sales team which will include piquing the interest of New York City chefs, institutions, schools, retailers, and nonprofits who may benefit from purchasing our products.
Successful candidates must have a strong work ethic, flexibility to work in a start-up environment where roles may change, and the drive to meet and exceed sales targets. Working closely with our Sales and Partnership Manager will give the person in this role the opportunity to develop their career.
80% Prospecting and Lead Generation
- Research and qualify potential new customer prospects, and identify key decisionmakers
- Contact prospects, including via cold calling and walk-ins when appropriate, and travel throughout NYC to meet with potential customers
- Follow up on incoming prospective customers
- Share Greenmarket Co.’s value proposition, build enthusiasm and initiate trusting relationships with new customers
- Maintain an organized pipeline and activity records using Excel
- Reach and exceed key performance indicators including calls scheduled, calls completed, opportunities qualified, and deals closed from your meetings
- Contribute to the development of marketing materials
20% Customer Service and Operations Support
· Work with the sales and operations teams to provide customer service around existing orders.
· Analyze and problem solve inventory shorts / problems and contact customers about potential swaps or substitutions
· Assist with managing inventory in relation to order entry
· Assist with procurement-related tasks such as sending out product lists and submitting POs on a limited basis (approximately 4-6 hours/week)
- Genuine enthusiasm for local food, and Greenmarket Co.’s mission of building markets that preserve regional farms and ensuring that all New Yorkers have equal access to fresh, high-quality food
- Minimum of 1 year of sales, customer service, or other relevant people-facing experience
- Excellent, professional written and oral communication skills
- An outgoing, people-oriented personality who enjoys working closely with others and helping customers meet their needs
- Ability to communicate and create relationships with buyers across the spectrum including chefs, food pantry managers, specialty retail operators, institutional nutrition staff, business owners, and community-based nonprofit organizations
- Demonstrated success in leveraging research and networks to identify stakeholders and/or partners and build strong relationships
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to do more with less in a scrappy, small-team environment
- Self-disciplined and organized; able to consistently hit daily and monthly targets with limited supervision
- Positive and energetic attitude
- Basic proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Office, Google Documents, and inventory management software
- Experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management platforms a plus
- Familiarity with fresh produce, especially selling or preparing in a commercial setting
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to take initiative and work independently as well as seek direction
- Previous sales training is a plus but not required
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience. This position is full-time with a generous benefits package including medical and dental insurance and paid time off.
Work Location and Schedule: The Lead Generation Specialist is a full-time position scheduled from Sunday through Thursday from 9am – 5pm, with Fridays and Saturdays off. The person in this position will split their time between Greenmarket Co.’s South Bronx warehouse office and GrowNYC’s main offices in downtown Manhattan. In addition, this position will require travel throughout New York City to meet with potential partners and clients.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume and three references to Chelsea Whittaker, email@example.com, by close of business on June 15, 2018. Combine all submissions into one PDF and write “Lead Generation Specialist, Greenmarket Co.” in the subject line. GrowNYC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
*Note: This job description was formerly posted with the title “Sales Development Rep.”
Minimum Education Required