1014 Torney Avenue
Tides is a foundation and nonprofit partner committed to building a world of social justice and shared prosperity. Founded in 1976, Tides’ works at the cutting edge of today’s biggest challenges, with a focus on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals, families, and communities; and education. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, Social Ventures, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org
Tides is seeking an experienced Accounting Manager who is passionate about accelerating the pace of social change. The ideal candidate will be comfortable collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve the organization’s strategic goals, and has the ability to thrive in an action-orientated, agile working environment.
The Accounting Manager – Social Ventures is primarily responsible for the organization’s client facing financial service functions, including financial reporting, budget review and guidance, grants management, financial forecasting, and general financial oversight.
This position oversees a team of social venture accountants who collectively support Tides 140 fiscally sponsored social ventures, as well as personally supports a caseload of social venture clients.
The Accounting Manager – Social Ventures is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage and mentor a team of senior accountants
· Assist the Director of Finance in developing departmental goals and support staff in developing their individual development plans and meeting their professional development goals.
· Collaborate with the Client Services Department and Accounting Operations staff to ensure consistent and high-quality customer service, and that the social venture accountants are actively contributing to organization goals.
· Ensures that the daily financial and accounting functions are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulatory requirements including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations
· Provides documentation for the federal and state tax return preparation, and supports annual financial audits and single audits (OMB A-133) as needed including agency monitoring visits, and ensuring “audit readiness” of assigned grants. Prepares the annual schedule of expenditures for federal awards.
· Reviews and monitors grant agreements for accurate revenue recognition; prepares annual entries to release net assets from restrictions, and prepares an annual reconciliation of Net Asset Balances.
· Collaborates with the Director of Finance to calculate and submit negotiated indirect cost rate agreement proposals.
· Implements, improves and documents accounting procedures to ensure efficiency and accuracy, including administering training on the NetSuite financial system for internal staff and client stakeholders.
· Maintains financial report integrity in the NetSuite Financial system and keeps transaction templates and forms up-to-date with evolving processes and fiscal year roll-overs.
· Holds direct reports accountable to providing excellent customer service and maintaining accurate financial information and assigns caseload of social venture clients to social venture accountants based on skill sets, expertise, location and capacity to ensure smooth transitions and client support.
· Prepares monthly journal entries to record administrative fee and licensing revenue.
· Reviews and approves journal entries prepared by social venture accountants.
Manages caseload of fiscally sponsored social venture clients
· Delivering high quality customer service related to accounting, reporting, grant management, budgeting, and analysis including consistent accounting treatment of all transactions and timely, accurate reporting.
· Approves all cash disbursements for project caseload and monitors project cash flow to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Tides cash management policies.
· Summarizes and forecasts project revenues, expenses, and cash flows based on past, present and expected results.
· Prepares and presents financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis to projects, and external and internal management team as required.
· Prepares financial transactions to record revenue and administrative fees, and to reclassify expenses between funding sources.
Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Exceptional knowledge of GAAP/FASB standards, experiential knowledge of FAR, CFR and relevant OMB circulars.
· Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and procedures.
· Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to effectively work with a diverse team, and working collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of the decisions made.
· Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment.
· Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties.
· Self-motivated and organized with attention to detail.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to be both diplomatic and confident.
· Proficient in enterprise-wide accounting systems such as NetSuite, Blackbaud Financial Edge or Microsoft Dynamics.
· Proficiency with MS Office suite of products.
· Proven ability to organize and support work flow processes that ensure high degrees of accuracy and accountability within team members.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or related field or equivalent is required. CPA, CMA, MBA or MPA with emphasis in accounting is strongly preferred.
· 5+ years of increasingly responsible experience in financial and accounting oversight.
· 2+ years of supervisory and accounting function management experience.
· Non-profit accounting and government grant management experience strongly preferred.
Why work for Tides
· Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision, matching retirement plan contributions (up to 5%), Basic life insurance and Basic AD&D and LTD for all eligible employees.
· All employees start with 3 weeks of vacation, receive 12 paid holidays, and enjoy 2 additional optional holidays per year in observance of other holidays and one birthday holiday.
· Competitive non-profit salaries.
· Flexible work arrangements to make you comfortable including outdoor patio work areas, comfy work/lounge space, standing desk options, cubicles and open or private work spaces.
· We have incredible clients and partners both domestically and internationally who are working towards a world of shared prosperity and social justice.
· We are serious about promoting sustainable commute options, including a free shuttle to and from downtown San Francisco and award-winning bicycle infrastructure, including secure bike parking, locker rooms, and bike share program.
· Tides has a bi-coastal presence: Tides’ San Francisco offices are located in a National Park with views of the Golden Gate Bridge. Tides New York office is right across the street from the New York Stock Exchange building.
· Tides has a robust staff engagement program, including regular cultural celebrations like a Chinese New Year pig roast and Black History Month film outings.
· The work is awesome, the people are awesome and we think there’s no better place to make an impact.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume must include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this job. To upload your cover letter, add the file to the Attach Documents section at the end of the online application. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=ac3db27c-a187-40fa-b974-0902020e297a&jobId=222710&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001