Finance and Compliance Manager, Sponsored Projects Finance
- Job posted by Columbia University Finance Division
615 West 131st Street
Reporting to the Senior Finance and Compliance Manager, Sponsored Projects Finance (SPF), the Finance and Compliance Manager, SPF, is responsible for assisting the SPF Team with the financial administration of a diverse portfolio of private and public grants and contracts of varied complexity, ensuring that they are administered in a fiscally responsible manner, complying with all applicable rules and regulations established by both the sponsor agency and the University.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of financial data by assisting in the preparation of financial reports and billings to sponsors in order to ensure compliance with generally acceptable accounting principles (GAAP) and sponsor reporting requirements
- Prepares required close-out documents for grants and/or contracts
- Responsible for customer service, a core mission of the department, by providing customers with the appropriate support regarding sponsored project financial administration and general ledger accounting
- Assists management in identifying opportunities to streamline and improve processes
- Maintains records in accordance with internal procedures, demonstrating compliance with sponsor regulations
- Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned.
The successful Finance and Compliance Manager, SPF will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external customers, including sponsoring agency officials
- Provide efficient and effective post-award accounting services to faculty
- Facilitate compliance with both sponsor and University policies
- Negotiate conflicts that arise between investigators, sponsors, and the University involving post-award financial matters
- Develop and deliver training materials to the University community related to the post-award management of sponsored programs.
- Assist with all audits of sponsored programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent
- Minimum of three years' related accounting experience required
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required.
- Experience with grant accounting and/or fund accounting
- Demonstrated knowledge of research administration / grants management and accounting business processes preferred
The successful Finance and Compliance Manager, SPF, must:
- Be comfortable working with databases and computerized financial systems.
- Be able to identify priorities within multiple assignments in a high-pressured, short-deadline environment, and be able to work with diplomacy and efficiency in such an environment.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, critical thinking, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Work well with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.
- Have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world. Columbia is one of the top academic and research institutions in the world, conducting path breaking research in medicine, science, the arts, and the humanities. It includes three undergraduate schools, thirteen graduate and professional schools, and a school of continuing education. We are committed to attracting and retaining the best and brightest in the workforce to support our mission of excellence in higher education and research.
In addition to generous annual leave and holiday paid time off, Columbia offers a rich benefits package that allows our employees to choose the features that best fit their individual or family needs. Benefit options include retirement plans, health insurance with dental and vision plans, and tuition benefits for yourself and dependent children. To learn more about why you should consider Columbia University, please visit https://careers.columbia.edu.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered an applicant, all interested parties MUST apply through the Columbia University online employment application system.