Reports to: Associate Director, Operations
Staff reporting to this position: Receptionist and Facilities Assistant
Department: Administration – Office Services
Position classification: Exempt, full time
The Office Administrator position at American Progress is a highly visible and impactful position that manages and ensures the efficient execution of all day-to-day business, office, and facilities operations. These tasks include but will not be limited to: maintaining and establishing vendor relationships; managing internal office moves; approving orders and managing inventory of standard office and kitchen supplies; and managing and negotiating maintenance contracts for equipment. As an integral member of the Office Services team, the Office Administrator will supervise the Receptionist and the Facilities Assistant to ensure optimal performance of all guest services and facilities-related processes and functions. Additionally, the Office Administrator will work closely with the Associate Director of Operations to develop and maintain standard business practices. The successful candidate must be able to work independently in a fast-paced workplace, to interact successfully with all levels of staff, and to work well under pressure while exhibiting professionalism, poise, and an unwavering positive demeanor. The ideal candidate is someone who supports the organization’s mission and understands the role this position plays within that mission.
- Supervises Receptionist and Facilities personnel through effective mentoring, motivation techniques, and routine performance evaluations.
- Responsible for liaising with Finance and vendors to effectively resolve billing issues and discrepancies professionally, quickly, and with an eye toward maintaining beneficial vendor relationships.
- Manages all organizationwide subscriptions and actively analyzes and pursues cost-saving opportunities.
- Maintains organization facilities by acting as primary contact with vendors that provide office supplies, catering, security, and appliance maintenance services, and supervises contracted facilities work such as painters, plumbers, and locksmiths.
- Oversees facilities operations and ensures optimal space utilization by proactively liaising with building engineers to ensure timely repair and facilities upkeep and immediate resolution of escalated facilities matters.
- Approves orders for office and kitchen supplies and collateral materials, and ensures adherence to established procurement and stocking standards and timing guidelines.
- Manages office space by negotiating space needs with team leads and managers.
- Manages all internal moves and box moves with participants, Facilities Assistant, Tech Support team, and external movers, as needed, and provides oversight for successful moves execution.
- Acts as backup to the Associate Director of Operations when required, and acts as liaison between the Office Services, Technology, and Finance teams, including the Chief Financial Officer, in coordination with the Associate Director.
- Researches, supports, and leads implementation of special projects, including but not limited to: quarterly office cleaning projects; the coordination of holiday gifts; annual vendor audits; and other projects as assigned.
- Actively shares knowledge and cross-trains Receptionist and Facilities Assistant in operations coordination/office management practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Two to three years of administrative, office, or facilities experience.
- One to two years of supervisory experience.
- Capacity to interact and communicate professionally with all levels of staff, politicians, dignitaries, and interview candidates.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated reliability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and capacity to achieve goals amid uncertainty.
- Capacity to exercise good professional judgment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file, upload the file, and complete the application through the link below.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.