Details: Commensurates with experience
2469 Lincoln Blvd.
Position Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports to: Deputy Director, Development and Administration
Location: Venice, CA
Status: Exempt (salary) employee
Hours: 40 hours per week
Summary: Safe Place for Youth (SPY) provides critical resources and a caring connection to homeless and at-risk youth ages 12-25. Trauma-informed care, positive youth development and low-barrier programs offered at SPY’s Drop-In Center are seen as a first step to engage youth experiencing or at-risk of homelessness into a continuum of supportive services. Since it was founded in 2011, SPY has been growing steadily and is now the leading service provider for homeless youth in West Los Angeles.
The Development and Communications Manager will be responsible for securing financial support from individuals, major gifts, corporations, event-based donations, program-related fundraising efforts, and in-kind contributions. In addition, this person will drive organizational advancement through communications, digital marketing and public relations. The Development and Communications Manager will work closely with leadership across the organization to increase visibility of SPY’s community and youth efforts by delivering SPY’s external key messages to a variety of stakeholders and assist in building the brand/cultural identity through traditional and new media channels. This position will also manage special events, including planning, coordination and implementation.
- Identify, solicit and acquire new sources of funding from a wide variety of philanthropic, corporate and individual sources to expand donor base and build long-term, sustainable sources of income for the organization.
- Maintain and build on-going relationships with existing major donors to ensure continued support.
- With the support of the Deputy Director and Executive Director, implement and maintain a comprehensive strategic fundraising plan, with specific measurable goals.
- Manage donor database and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Identify and track quantifiable metrics of program success for fundraising purposes
- Cultivate relationships in the community with local businesses, corporations, neighborhood groups, faith-based congregations, and schools.
- Plan and implement fundraising events: secure sponsorships and silent auction items, assist in the creation of event budgets, coordinate vendors, and oversee staff/volunteers on event day
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Write, edit, design and disseminate written and electronic communications, including newsletters, annual reports, brochures, program one-sheets, social media and development materials.
- Regularly update and maintain SPY’s website for accurate content, layout structure and functionality.
- Create compelling, persuasive, relevant, and accurate communications content that will increase funding and visibility.
- Manage media relations, including proactively cultivating ongoing media relationships.
- Set highest standards for quality, attention to detail, flawless execution and results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications and Experience:
- A commitment to and passion for the mission, vision, values and culture of Safe Place for Youth
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (required)
- Two or more years of experience in development and communications, preferably for a non-profit
- An innovator who leverages non-traditional resources for the benefit of the organization
- Proficiency in Adobe CS (eg Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier), Microsoft Office, Google Apps for Business
- Strong project management experience
- Solid organizational and administrative abilities
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Healthy balance of capacities for autonomy and collaboration
- Desire to work joyfully as part of a mission-driven team
- Strong integrity and a commitment to professional excellence
- Knowledge and understanding of the homeless youth services’ landscape in Los Angeles (desired).
Health, dental, vision, paid holiday and vacations, 403B plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position and why they are passionate about Safe Place for Youth’s mission to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development and Communications Manager”
Safe Place for Youth, a project of Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.