The Instructional Coach position is designed for professional educators who are looking to gain experience in teacher training, evaluation and leadership. Breakthrough works with Teaching Fellows in Middle School Subjects of Literature, Science, Writing, and Mathematics, although core instructional support is provided in classroom management and multiple-subject instructional strategies. If hired, you may be asked to work out of your core content area.
Breakthrough is seeking professional Instructional Coaches for its 2018 summer academies. Instructional Coaches work approximately 35 hours per week (Monday - Thursday) during the nine-week summer sessions, from June 11th – August 10th. They also attend 35 hours of pre-summer training on weekends and/or in the evenings prior to June 11. They help prepare, train, supervise, and mentor our college-student Teaching Fellows; their work is essential to our students’ and Teaching Fellows’ success. We are looking to fill the following vacancies:
· Science Instructional Coach – Germantown Friends School
· Science Instructional Coach – Drexel University
· Writing Instructional Coach – Germantown Friends School
Pre-Summer Orientation and Post-Summer Wrap Up (Weeks 1, 2, and 9)
· Participate in up to 35 hours of pre-program trainings to include online and in-person collaborative work sessions
· Attend the two-week Teaching Fellow orientation (part of the nine-week program commitment)
· Provide direct guidance to teaching fellows to adapt lesson plans for assigned subjects.
· Evaluate student pre-tests and post-tests based on given rubrics; share data with Teaching Fellows, Site Manager, and Program Director
· Review and edit end-of-summer evaluations of students written by Teaching Fellows
· Write end-of-summer evaluations for Teaching Fellows
Summer Program (Weeks 3 – 8)
· Oversee curriculum and instruction in core subject area(s) and electives.
· Work with Teaching Fellows to revise and implement daily lesson plans based on student data
· Ensure that Teaching Fellows adhere to lesson plan deadlines
· Provide Teaching Fellows with written/verbal feedback on daily lesson plans and accompanying documents
Instructional Feedback and Support
· Use the Breakthrough model to observe classroom instruction and provide formal support and feedback
· Lead additional training sessions and workshops in collaboration with other staff
· Facilitate weekly department meetings
· Communicate and work with Site Manager and/or Dean of Faculty to ensure progress of students and Teaching Fellows
· Engage fully in the Breakthrough community, sharing our passion for teaching, learning, and leading
June-Instructional Coach Orientation*
o Dates TBD
o Periodic contact with teachers by email/phone
o Communication with Breakthrough Staff regarding pre-summer responsibilities
June 11th to August 10th
Breakthrough may be able to make accommodations for full-time teachers who have school responsibilities during the weeks of June 11th or August 6th.
o Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
o Wednesday (9:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.)
o Full days on the following Fridays: June 15, June 22, August 10, and one additional special event Friday
Minimum Education Required