Founded in 1969, Lawyers Alliance for New York provides legal and educational services to nonprofit organizations and social enterprises. These services strengthen organizations that improve quality of life for low-income and disadvantaged New Yorkers. With a talented staff of 21 people, annual budget of $3.5 million, and extensive volunteer program, Lawyers Alliance assists more than 1,000 organizations each year. We seek a Director of Finance to support our plans for stability and growth.
Primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Manage daily financial operations, maintain and reconcile bank accounts, promptly pay bills and record receipts, and maintain accurate financial and accounting records.
- Prepare operating budget, quarterly anticipated budget, and long term financial projections, and analyze and make recommendations based on operating results, working with other members of management team.
- Prepare cash flow analyses, and monitor and forecast revenues and expenses.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements and present financial information to other managers, Finance Committee, and Board for review and discussion.
- Coordinate all audit activities, preparation of Form 990 and other government filings, and compliance with financial transparency and reporting requirements.
- Monitor investment portfolio.
- Maintain organization’s insurance coverage and investigate options for renewals and improvements.
- Manage vendor relationships and organizational procedures related to facilities, administration, equipment, disaster preparedness, return to office space, and office logistics.
- Administer staff payroll, 403(b) plan, and other employee benefits, and work with Deputy Executive Director to maintain personnel records and human resources records.
- Support development function by tracking and providing information for fundraising proposals, reports, and contracts, and reconciling records.
- Perform additional tasks as needed for organizational planning, financial health, best practices, and smooth operations.
Experience and Attributes
- At least five years of work experience in finance in the nonprofit sector, with increasing responsibility, including audit, compliance, and budgeting.
- Understanding of GAAP and FASB regulations and financial filings applicable to nonprofits.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with advanced training in accounting, finance, business and/or nonprofit administration.
- Strong analytic and quantitative skills, attentive to detail, and a demonstrated ability to organize and execute complex or multiple projects in timely and accurate manner.
- Thoughtful approach to problem solving and project management, flexibility to take on new and varied challenges, with an eye for both near-term and long-range goals.
- Prior experience managing insurance, employee benefits, and/or vendor relationships.
- Adept with accounting systems, software, and Excel; technologically savvy and able to work efficiently in a fast-moving environment.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.