6060 Wilshire Boulevard
Tour Guides at the Petersen must learn and retain knowledge of the cars and other relevant artifacts that make up the collection and articulate the most interesting stories about those cars to the public. Tours may cover the whole museum or select portions of the museum, including the Vault. Tour groups can range from families with children up to senior groups, and can include people from different countries, different learning levels and different abilities. In addition to sharing educational content, it is important that tour guides manage, control, and entertain their tour groups. Training to be a tour guide includes studying training materials, shadowing veteran guides and observing their presentation styles, buddying up with veteran guides to give collaborative tours, and giving several practice tours to staff. Upon successful completion of the training period, a new guide can then begin lead public tours.
· Leading tours of the museum, or portions of it, that last anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours (standard tour lengths are one hour for museum tours and 90 minutes for Vault tours).
· Engaging and entertaining guests on tours. Tours may include up to 50 guests.
· Researching cars and artifacts and maintaining knowledge of the collection.
· Preparing a tour strategy that covers a broad portion of the tour’s target while fitting within time constraints.
· Working with other guides in research and preparation.
· Adjusting and modifying tour content as requested by their supervisor and/or the museum administration. This includes learning information about cars that may only temporarily on display.
· Wearing the required uniform during all tours, which includes a red Petersen polo shirt, black pants and shoes, and a nametag.
· Attend all trainings and reading all training materials.
· Arriving in advance of tours in order to walk through the museum and/or in advance of their first tour, making themselves aware of any changes.
· Committing to a regular schedule while also being able to pick up additional shifts.
· Cooperating with security and museum staff in managing groups to ensure guest safety and preservation of the collection.
Minimum Education Required