BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Major Gifts Officer's role is to assertively pursue and cultivate gifts $10k+ to contribute to BAM’s operating budget. They will strategize, cultivate, solicit and steward gifts over $10,000 from individuals in order to increase annual contributed income for BAM.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and solicit prospective donors for BAM.
- Identify and research various individuals and business sectors for donor prospects.
- In conjunction with the AVP and major gifts team, share prospect information annually with BAM & BET Board, collect feedback, and incorporate appropriate notes into database and follow-up strategies; participate in monthly prospect meetings; and participate in cultivation and stewardship events
- Facilitate prospect cultivation opportunities for Board members and donors in conjunction with BAM programs.
- Work with staff to rate and store prospect info for periodic review, brochure mailings, cultivation, and solicitations.
Major Gift Cultivation and Solicitation
- Attend meetings with donors to discuss opportunities for funding specific initiatives.
- Attend various dinners and receptions with donors to strengthen relationships.
- Call, email, and write to donors to touch base and share information.
- Prepare requests, proposals, and reports for major donors.
- Lead project and program specific campaigns as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5 years’ work experience, and at least 3 years’ experience in the cultivation, solicitation and closing of major gifts greater than $10,000
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to build 1:1 relationships with existing donors and new prospects
- Available for evening and/or weekend work and willingness to travel
- Comfort with cold-calling, establishing relationships, and building rapport where none may previously have existed
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Detail oriented
- Maturity, diplomacy, and creativity
- Creative problem solver
- Customer service skills
- Intermediate knowledge of Tessitura and Microsoft Office
- Passionate commitment to non-profit performing arts and BAM’s programming
- Work experience in a NYC art institution
- Advanced degree in Arts Administration or Business
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must complete an online application, including both resume and cover letter, through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.