Details: This is a nonexempt position. With overtime the potential salary range will be mid-40's to 50k. Namati offers an excellent benefits package.
1616 P Street Northwest
District of Columbia
About the Position
This is a challenging and exciting position at the heart of Namati’s executive team, with a unique vantage point into the running of a fast-paced, dynamic global justice organization.
The Executive Associate (EA) will provide flawless administrative, logistical, research, and editing support to Vivek Maru (CEO) and Indira Sarma (COO). In addition to being an administrative whiz, the EA will become fluent in Namati’s operational and programmatic priorities and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The EA will have the judgment, tact and discretion to communicate thoughtfully on behalf of the organization with our global staff, our board, and external stakeholders.
Here’s what you might have tackled in the past week:
- Thoroughly prepared Vivek for a meeting with a new potential funder; liaised with their Executive Director’s EA to lock in the timing and agenda; worked with Namati’s Director of Development to brief Vivek on the foundation’s areas of focus; ensured that all relevant Namati staff are invited to the meeting; and helped Vivek follow up on next steps after the meeting.
- Secured travel visas and mapped complex itineraries as Vivek and Indira each prepare multi-country trips with numerous overlapping components. Thought seven steps ahead to secure on the ground logistics (travel, transport, lodging) and ensured that both were provided with comprehensive logistical details for every step of their trip before they departed.
- Ensured that Vivek’s direct report check-in calls were rescheduled for the upcoming week he’s set to present at a human rights conference in Istanbul.
- Troubleshot a Google Photos backup sync error discovered on Vivek’s phone an hour before his flight to rural Sierra Leone, and ensured previous trip photos have been sent to the Comms team before erasing them on Vivek’s phone to free up space.
- Supported Indira to proactively map and prepare the quarterly leadership call schedule for the year.
- Updated Vivek’s CV after his most recent op-ed on diversifying revenue for a sustainable legal empowerment movement was published in the Guardian.
- Tracked down missing receipts from one of Vivek’s previous trips to India and submitted the relevant expenditure forms to the finance team.
- Conducted a DC office supply audit and placed an order with Amazon for new notepads, binder clips, and post-its, then updated the supply log accordingly.
About you (please tell us in your application how you embody these traits!)
- Track record of excellence in a support role: You genuinely enjoy, and have demonstrable experience (at least one year), directly supporting senior managers/executives.
- Exceptionally organized and attentive to detail: You’re hyper-organized and detail-oriented by nature and take pleasure in letting no ball drop as you deftly juggle multiple projects. As a matter of practice, you proactively check and double check your work to ensure it’s free of errors-- .
- Calm and effective under pressure: In previous jobs or internships, you have excelled at a high volume of complex logistical details, switching gears, and thoughtfully prioritizing at high speeds. You thrive in fast paced environments.
- Ambitious and relentless: It’s in your nature to work tirelessly on a problem until you’ve seen through the solution that will best advance the ultimate aim of the project. You are a quick study who excels at learning to do things you’ve never done before.
- Deep sense of ownership and responsibility: You epitomize reliability, and you’ve always been recognized as the person whom others inherently trust to get the job done quickly and accurately.
- Skilled with communication: Your written and verbal communications demonstrate both clarity of thought, analysis and sensitivity to audience and context.
- Tech savvy: You’re a technophile; when working with a new program or application you quickly become fluent.
- Collaborative and service-oriented: You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. You are known as a team-player who brings an “all hands on deck” mindset to all projects -- you’re happy to contribute however you can to advance Namati’s mission.
- Growth oriented: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
- Nimble, creative, problem-solving: Although careful planning and execution define your work, you are positive and graceful when unexpected challenges arise. You quickly reorient and identify the best new course of action.
Namati is dedicated to placing the power of law in the hands of people.
For billions of people around the world, the law is broken. It’s an abstraction -- or worse, a threat -- but not something we can use to exercise our basic rights.
Namati is building a global movement of grassroots advocates who empower people to understand, use, and shape the law. These “barefoot lawyers” form a dynamic, creative frontline that can squeeze justice out of even broken systems.
In the past four years, Namati and our partners have worked with over 65,000 clients to take on some of the greatest challenges of our times: protecting community lands, enforcing environmental law, and securing basic rights to healthcare and citizenship.
We track data on every case and use that information to advocate for systemic changes, like better policies for land governance in Liberia, environmental regulation in India, and healthcare delivery in Mozambique.
And we're joining forces for change. Namati convenes the Global Legal Empowerment Network -- over 1400 groups and 5,400 individuals from 160 countries learning from one another and bringing justice to communities in every part of the world.
For more about what it’s like to work at Namati, please see our Cultural Principles.
We would love to have you on our team. Please join us.
Namati offers an excellent benefits package, which includes-
- Health insurance- Namati pays 80% of the plan premium for individuals and 50% for dependents
- 3 weeks' paid vacation, 12 sick days, 11 federal holidays, 3 personal days, 6 weeks' parental leave
- 401(k)- Namati contributes 5% of your salary plus matches your contribution up to an additional 5%
- Pre-tax transportation and parking benefit
- Access to professional development opportunities
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete our online application form. Applications will be considered immediately and on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please note we prefer for your application materials (cover letter, CV, and writing sample) to be uploaded in one PDF.
No phone calls, please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer; we encourage applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and others from historically marginalized communities.