What Is Keep Austin Housed?
Keep Austin Housed (KAH), a project of Front Steps, affects positive change in the lives of children, youth, and adults who are at risk of experiencing or currently experiencing homelessness. KAH places 30 full-time AmeriCorps members in 11 nonprofits across Austin to address the issues of homelessness and contribute to a community that is healthy, educated, safe, and self-sustaining.
KAH AmeriCorps members work directly with individuals to overcome barriers to housing, employment, and personal stability. In addition to work at their sites, members develop personally and professionally through team-building events, trainings, and service opportunities.
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service initiative in which people of all ages commit to a year of service to their country in one of three areas: economic opportunity, education, and environmental stewardship.
AmeriCorps Case Management Aides work directly with clients by providing services, referrals, resources, and support to encourage self-sustainability. Members provide case management services to adolescents, survivors of sexual and domestic violence, immigrants and refugees, elderly individuals, and other clients who are at-risk of becoming homeless, are currently homeless, or who have recently experienced homelessness.
Daily tasks at your site may include:
- Meeting one-on-one with clients
- Helping clients access public assistance programs including SNAP
- Connecting with landlords to find housing resources
- Referring clients to mental and physical healthcare services
As an Americorps You Will:
- Serve full-time from September 2020-July 2021. Work hours vary but are typically 9:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday.
- Serve for 11 months as part of AmeriCorps, a national service initiative to help others and meet critical needs in the community. For more information about AmeriCorps, visit http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-state-and-national.
- Aide with existing case management services to address specific barriers clients are experiencing regarding his or her housing, employment, and/or personal stability goals.
- Educate the community about homelessness as well as recruit, train and coordinate volunteers in supporting client, site, and project needs.
- Attend regular Americorps trainings and participate in community service projects.
- Make lifelong friendships and connections.
- Annual living allowance of $16,000
- Education award
- Health insurance
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Childcare assistance
- Student loan forbearance on qualified federal loans
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Members must be at least 20 years of age
- Have completed at least one year of college coursework.
- Work/volunteer/intern experience with homeless and/or social services preferred
- Members must be able to establish and maintain professional boundaries as well as feel comfortable working with families, children, adolescents, and single adults in issue areas of shelter and housing, mental health, substance abuse, domestic violence, general health, education, and refugee services.
**Members will be required to pass a National Criminal Background Check before beginning service.
Our Service Sites (*position descriptions link attached):
Any Baby Can, Caritas of Austin, Casa Marianella, Family Eldercare, Foundation Communities, Foundation for the Homeless, Goodwill Industries of Central Texas, LifeWorks, SafePlace, and Trinity Center.
How to Apply:
Submit an application: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=92982
For more information about KAH: http://www.frontsteps.org/what-we-do/keep-austin-housed
Front Steps Keep Austin Housed is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, or sexual orientation.
What Is Keep Austin Housed?
Keep Austin Housed (KAH), a project of Front Steps, affects positive change in the lives of children, youth, and adults who are at risk of experiencing or currently experiencing homelessness. KAH places 30 full-time…