253 West 35th Street
Assistant Program Manager for Scholar Support, Northeast Region
Since 1963, A Better Chance has been the only national organization of its kind, working to substantially increase the number of well-educated young people of color who are capable of assuming positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
Reporting to the Northeast Regional Manager and serving as an integral member of the Northeast team, the Assistant Program Manager will be experienced, talented and have an engaging personality; embrace and articulate the mission of A Better Chance to prospective students and families; foster collaborations with schools and community based organizations to grow awareness and engagement; and support the execution of processes to meet enrollment/placement goals.
LOCATION: New York, NY
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Student/Family Support (70%)
- Support the A Better Chance Scholars in their Member Schools across the Northeast region through in person visits and virtual check ins;
- Plan and execute Scholar Support events to bring the A Better Chance community of Scholars and Families together (event themes can center around topics such as the college application process, SAT prep, financial literacy and college scholarship opportunities, navigating life at a Member School);
- Maintain consistent communication with current Scholars through emails, newsletters, Skype check-ins and updates on scholarship and program opportunities;
- Serve as liaison to Member Schools to support the placement process for A Better Chance applicants;
- Develop and maintain relationships with summer program organizations and travel opportunities to share with A Better Chance Scholars;
- Manage and continue to develop the Parents As Partners Committees that operate in the Northeast Region;
- Support the Northeast team in planning and executing an annual Middle School and High School Orientation for newly placed Scholars in the Northeast region.
Member Growth/Cultivation (15%)
- Assist Regional Manager with developing strategies for growing Member School base in accordance with our strategic plan;
- Develop and maintain relationships with, and instill enthusiasm for, our program in our Member Schools through site visits.
Other duties (15%)
- Assist with Scholar support programing such as New Scholar Orientations and End-of-Year Celebrations;
- Assist on an as needed basis with other parts of the Program and Development units;
- Assist with special projects as needed within the organization.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Experience working with students and families in Higher-Ed or K-12;
- Understanding of the broad educational issues facing educational systems and students of color in particular;
- Outstanding public speaking and writing skills;
- Experience in creating on-line resources;
- Knowledge of curriculum and survey design;
- Knowledge of independent schools;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide cross section of people at various levels in an organization;
- Ability to prioritize, organize, follow through and multi-task in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Execution focused and able to convert strategy into action and results;
- Self-motivated and flexible; must work well both independently and on a team;
- Spanish a plus.
- You have a valid driver’s license (frequent travel throughout Northeast region during the admissions season);
- You are able and willing to work weekends and late evenings throughout the year;
- You are eager to learn new techniques, procedures, processes, and computer programs;
- You combine a talent for strategy and implementation with a passion for results;
- You are a skilled communicator, collaborator, and relationship builder;
- You are inspired by A Better Chance’s mission!
WHAT WE OFFER
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals;
- An organization that offers and values work/life balance;
- The opportunity to make a difference in the life of academically talented students of color;
- A competitive salary and suite of benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please note “Assistant Program Manager for Scholar Support, Northeast – [your last name]” in the subject line of your email. Only candidates being considered will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.