10 City Square
Location: Boston, MA
Reports to: Outdoors Rx Program Manager
Summary Description: This year-round, part-time position (approximately 20 hours/month) will help families get outside by providing fun and engaging programs in local parks. The ideal candidate will be available to deliver 1-3 programs per week, typically on weekends.
Outdoors Rx®, an initiative of the Appalachian Mountain Club, is a program for families which aims to improve the mental and physical well-being of children ages 13 and younger by helping them get outdoors. We achieve our mission through partnerships with trusted health professionals who write prescriptions to the outdoors, and by filling those prescriptions through free outdoor programs and resources. Outdoors Rx® is the first-known program to "fill" outdoor play prescriptions by developing local maps; offering free, close-to-home activities for families; and providing an online resource. The program gives healthcare professionals free, dedicated resources for prescribing regular outdoor physical activity to children. Outdoors Rx® is growing rapidly and already serves over 1,500 youth and families per year within our three regions: MetroWest, Chelsea/Revere and Boston.
- Deliver year-round, short and engaging introductory outdoor programs for families.
- Utilize Outdoors Rx® curriculum and materials provided.
- Conduct 1-3 programs each week, typically on weekends.
- Provide written trip reports, summaries and feedback on all programs on a timely basis.
- Assist Program Coordinators in community outreach, family engagement and data collection
- Participate in a biweekly phone call with the Outdoors Rx® Program Manager.
- Attend bimonthly staff meetings.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Previous experience delivering programs for children and/or families.
- Spanish or Haitian-Creole proficiency a plus.
- Knowledge of Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury neighborhoods.
- Must have own reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions and to carry a 15 pound backpack.
- Fun and engaging communication style, positive attitude and adaptability.
- Commitment to the mission of the AMC.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required