145 Border St
Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is a leading statewide organization committed to ending hunger for Massachusetts residents of all ages. In collaboration with key partners, we deploy a two-pronged approach to achieve this goal:
- Provide immediate relief to those who are hungry today
- Eradicate the systemic causes of hunger
To assist us in meeting our mission, Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is seeking a part-time Chef Educator to join our team. The position is available 3 days/week through June 30, 2019 with a possible extension into the summer and beyond.
Supervisor: Director of Chefs in Schools
The Role: The Chef Educator will train public school cafeteria staff on strategies for improving the quality and palatability of school meals. As part of Project Bread’s statewide Chefs in Schools program, the Chef Educator will focus specifically on the culinary, presentation, and marketing skills needed to provide healthy, affordable, and appealing food for public school students.
Regional travel is required, including but not limited to the following geographic regions: North Shore, South Shore and Greater Boston. Current cities include Lawrence and New Bedford.
1. The Chef Educator will work daily in school kitchens, providing hands-on training for school cafeteria staff. The Chef Educator will ensure that day to day trainings meet the established project goals and timelines for his/her/their assigned district(s). Training areas include scratch cooking techniques and kitchen management strategies.
2. He/she/they will also support the development and dissemination of appealing and affordable recipes for healthier school breakfast, lunch, and summer meals programs.
3. In addition, the Chef Educator will –
a. Maintain ongoing communication with the Director of Chefs in Schools to share activities, successes, challenges in each school.
b. Solicit feedback on Chefs in Schools recipes from students and report data to Director of Chefs in Schools.
c. Prepare and submit daily feedback forms including information about day to day staff trainings, feedback on recipes, successes and challenges.
d. Provide weekly photos, quotes and stories documenting the Chefs in Schools program to Director of Chefs in Schools and Communications Manager.
e. Meet monthly with the Director of Chefs in Schools and School Chef Team to assess intervention strategies in each district and make adjustments as necessary. Participate in weekly phone calls with Director of Chefs in Schools.
f. Prepare and lead occasional professional development training sessions for cafeteria staff as scheduled by school nutrition director. Topics will vary.
g. Occasionally present on nutrition topics to students, families, food service personnel, and other stakeholders
- Participate in occasional community events and meetings that highlight the Chefs in Schools program or other special projects as needed, including occasionally being required to work outside of regular office hours.
- Participate in media events as necessary, potentially including radio, cable TV, newspaper, other.
- Participate in the annual Walk for Hunger, including working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, and attending pre-Walk events as assigned.
- Participate in organization-wide events and meetings as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years’ culinary experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience, background in institutional food service, education, nutrition, or public health preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with children, young adults and/or people from diverse backgrounds.
- Interest in school nutrition. Knowledge of USDA school meals standards, guidelines and recipe development preferred. Experience working with menu planning software such as NutriKids or Mosaic a plus.
- Self-starter with ability to manage a project independently, collaborate with a team and positive, professional attitude.
- Ability to provide leadership and motivate others in a team environment.
- ServSafe and Allergen Awareness Certifications, or ability to acquire within 60 days of hire required.
- Access to own, reliable transportation required.
Minimum Education Required