42-09 28th Street
Long Island City
Farm to Preschool Assistant Educators
1 Month, 14-21 hours per week
The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The Healthy Eating Unit within the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s (DOHMH) Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control is seeking educators to assist in conducting cooking demonstrations and classroom activities at child care centers serving low-income families across New York City as part of the DOHMH’s Farm to Preschool (F2P) initiative. F2P engages with families, children, and staff at child care centers to influence healthy eating habits and food environments at the center, in the home, and in the community.
F2P Assistant Educators will work with F2P Educators to provide education at two child care centers per week from October 2018 to the first week of November 2018 and will attend bi-weekly Monday afternoon meetings at the DOHMH office in Long Island City, Queens. F2P Assistant Educators will assist F2P Educators in the preparation and delivery of adult cooking demonstrations including preparing recipes, providing accurate Spanish interpretation, and setting and cleaning up of the workshop space. F2P Assistant Educators will also assist with conducting classroom activities for 3-5 year old children which will include introduction of a fruit or vegetable and a recipe tasting. This paid position is part-time and seasonal to coincide with the regional growing season. F2P Educators will be required to attend a paid training the first week of October, 2018 and commit to working two to three days per week (plus bi-weekly Monday afternoon meetings). F2P Assistant Educators will report to the F2P Educators. F2P Assistant Educators will work approximately 14-21 hours per week and will be paid $20 per hour.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
· Prepare for and orally interpret cooking demonstrations from English to Spanish
· Assist with preparation and implementation of cooking demonstrations for adults and classroom activities for children at child care centers
· Follow curriculum and ensure integrity and fidelity of programming
· Set-up, break-down, and properly maintain and store table and all cooking equipment and educational materials
· Maintain food safety, including following time and temperature, cleaning and sanitizing protocols
· Assist with additional program activities as needed including program marketing and data collection
· Attend bi-weekly afternoon meetings on Mondays at DOHMH offices in Long Island City, Queens
· Oral and written fluency in Spanish
· Experience in interpreting information orally from English to Spanish
· Dynamic personality and excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
· Comfort and ability to work with diverse communities and travel to different neighborhoods across New York City
· ServSafe certification or successful completion of the NYC Food Protection Course (prior to hiring)
· Commitment to 2-3 days per week of work at child care centers and bi-weekly Monday afternoon meetings
· Experience working with young children
· Experience or training in nutrition or culinary arts
· Experience working with diverse populations
· Understanding of health inequities, regional food systems and community food security issues in NYC
This position will be hired through a staffing agency.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including how your experience relates to this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Farm to Preschool Assistant Educator_your name” in subject line. Deadline to apply is September 28th, 2018.