250 Lloyd Avenue
SquashBusters is a 22 year old sports-based youth development program that uses a combination of squash and fitness, academic support and enrichment, and community service to improve the lives of youth in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. SquashBusters' mission is to challenge and nurture urban youth - as students, athletes, and citizens - so that they can recognize and fulfill their greatest potential in life.
SquashBusters aims to ensure that all of its graduates:
- Enroll in and successfully complete college
- Understand and embrace life-long habits of health and wellness
- Develop a deep sense of character and personal integrity
SquashBusters currently serves 350 middle school, high school and college students in Boston, Lawrence and Providence. In Boston, programming takes place six days per week at the SquashBusters Youth Center located on Northeastern's campus. In Lawrence, programming takes place at Brooks School and Phillips Academy Andover; and in Providence, programming takes place at the Gorgi Family Squash and Education Center on the campus of Moses Brown School.
SquashBusters' strategic plan calls for facility development in Lawrence and full roll-out of the Providence program to serve 100 students in each city in addition to the 150 students served in Boston and 70+ enrolled in college. When this program expansion is complete, SquashBusters will become a three-city youth organization serving 500 students with an annual operating budget of approximately $3M.
Working closely with the SquashBusters Providence Program Director and Academic Manager, the Program
Coordinator would mentor and support the academic and athletic success program for SquashBusters Providence middle school students. Key to this would be building relationships with the students and families and working with other SquashBusters program team members, as well as ensuring strong communication and organization around the program. The Providence Program Coordinator will report to and be supported by the SquashBusters Providence Program Director.
Program & Student support:
• Participate and assist in leading daily academic and squash programming for Middle School students– including homework support, academic enrichment, youth development, squash & fitness – with the goal of student success. This will be a mixture of time spent on-court and in the classroom:
o Squash & Fitness – Along with Squash Director (and on some days on own), help organize squash and fitness practices. Knowledge of squash is a plus, but not a requirement. Candidate must be able to organize and marshal students through practice with high energy and plug them in with on-court squash volunteers
o Academic homework help and academic enrichment – Along with Academic Manager (and on some days on own), the Program Coordinator will help work with students, and connect them to volunteer tutors in the academic sessions. There will
• Ensure students are working towards academic success and be fully up to date on their grades, making sure they fall into the metrics of SqB academic grade, attendance, and REP requirements
• Develop, implement, and update team-building & enrichment activities
• Schedule, lead, and participate in additional programming (weekend practices, community service projects, team trips, college visits)
Ensure quality of relationships with key stakeholders:
• Develop positive and deep connections with students and families – many of whom are Spanish speakers
• Communicate consistently and effectively with parents
• Effectively and consistently recruit and support academic volunteers. Assist in their formal training
• Help recruit, train, and manage volunteer academic tutors and squash coaches - ensure a 1:4 ratio of tutors to youth
• Help students connect to other opportunities as appropriate (summer opportunities, high school choice,
• Collaborate and communicate with SquashBusters staff, families, and community partners
Overall Program Support & Engagement
• Maintain key performance Indicators for Program Team (including using SalesForce)
• Support major program initiatives (including Urban National Team tournaments, Program-wide family functions)
• Oversee selected external partnerships
• Assist with implementation of program evaluation as it relates to academic, community service and character education programming
Program Team Responsibilities:
• In addition to these primary responsibilities, the Program Coordinator will participate in and lead various program activities as described below. As a member of the program team, s/he will collaborate with other program staff to ensure a fully integrated approach to SquashBusters’ academic, sport, and character development programs. Through these programs, the program staff will challenge, nurture, and hold accountable SquashBusters youth so that they recognize and fulfill their potential.
• Recruit, coordinate, and implement summer session program and broker external summer camp and employment opportunities for students
• Drive students to and from events in SquashBusters van (certain nights after practice, and for select weekend events)
• Work on some weekend days throughout the year – for practices, squash tournaments, community service projects, trips
• Ensure each middle school team has an active roster of students – assist in retention tracking
• Assist in collecting and updating paperwork for students such as parent contracts, physicals, and program fees
• Drive students to and from their schools to practice as needed, and to and from matches, team trips, community service projects, summer camps, etc.
• We expect all staff at SquashBusters to be communicative with all stakeholders, disciplined and engaged in their work, and open to receiving and giving feedback in order to constantly strive to do excellent work
• SquashBusters staff has to enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, should enjoy working with many types of people, should be self-reflective and always committed to improvement and excellence
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish are key to the position
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to: Chris Lynch, SquashBusters COO, at email@example.com. Please attach resume and cover letter in one document and reference SquashBusters Providence Program Coordinator in the subject line. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.