Global Student Embassy's (GSE) mission is to empower young people to be social entrepreneurs, environmental stewards, and community leaders. We’re hiring a full time Community Educator for Marin County. The Community Educator will engage in community organizing, be responsible for community and school garden projects, develop and maintain in-school partnerships, manage different stakeholders participating in GSE projects, and implement GSE leadership curriculum with groups in participating high schools. The Community Educator spends most of their time on-site and in the field, with reporting responsibilities to headquarters office and senior staff.
1. Student Recruitment
- Direct recruitment for GSE clubs and programs at 4-5 participating high schools
- Lead and manage recruitment for summer and spring break programs to Guatemala and Ecuador
- Coach and manage partner teachers to effectively outreach to interested and deserving students
- Coordinate with existing GSE members to do outreach at schools and increase GSE's weekly/ year round participant base
2. School Partnerships & Teaching
- Manage 3-4 garden-based education classes per day, 1 day each week at each of our school partners, incorporating environmental science, biology and nutrition education as they relate to the garden
- Coordinate and collaborate with classroom teachers to develop lessons that support classroom teaching in a range of curriculum areas (science, mathematics, world language, history, language arts, etc.)
- Oversee and coordinate students' hands-on experiences in the garden in school and during after school volunteer hours
- Co-teach with classroom teachers, and develop teacher skills in outdoor classroom management techniques
- Maintain productive organic gardens at each of our school sites
- Manage planting schedule
3. Community Engagement
- Oversee a county-wide calendar with details about community workdays at school gardens and local restoration sites
- Build involvement in and commitment to the school garden within the school community, including teachers, administrators, students, parents and community volunteers.
- Manage groups and work with community partners to secure all needed supplies
- Plan and prepare for student garden workdays and other volunteer opportunities (a minimum of two per year for each site)
4. Support student fundraising efforts and build potential donor assets through community outreach and projects.
- Support students with developing personal and group fundraising plans
- Communicate with GSE admin staff about fundraising/ donor opportunities that arise while conducting community outreach on behalf of programs
5. Lead, manage and coordinate International Student Exchange visit in California
- Work with Community Educators in other counties to plan activities for international student visit.
- Meet and coordinate with host families prior to student's visit
- Lead activities with int'l students, local students and participating teachers and community members.
6. Report to Berkeley headquarters office and senior staff
- Submit weekly reporting through a work plan document
- Report recruitment numbers for each high school
- Share opportunities for local resource generation and development
- Ensure that all traveling students are completed and submitted on time to headquarters office
- Facilitation or teaching experience with high school students (and enjoys the challenge of working to engage and inspire young people)
- Knowledge of or interest in topics including urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access
- Flexible and able to perform well under constantly changing environments
- Demonstrated networker and community organizer
- Able to establish clear guidelines and boundaries and assist others to meet them
- Comfortable with basic classroom management and curriculum development
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Project management skills
- Valid driver’s license, regular access to a vehicle, and no DUI within 5 years.
- Some Spanish language skills (preferred)
We offer a mission-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to the email above.
Global Student Embassy’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and volunteers, respecting the full
spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political
affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, and veteran status.