Director of Philanthropy
Casa Cornelia Law Center is a public interest (non-profit) law firm providing quality pro bono legal services to victims of human and civil rights violations with a primary commitment to the indigent within the immigrant community in Southern California. Our legal services include representation to those in removal proceedings or seeking affirmative immigration relief including asylum seekers, abused and abandoned children, and immigrant victims of domestic violence, human trafficking, and other serious crimes who are eligible under U.S. law. Casa Cornelia provides pro bono representation through its staff and the support of volunteers, such as private attorneys, law students, and interpreters/translators under the mentorship of Casa Cornelia attorneys.
The Development Program is responsible for garnering support from individuals, government funders, private foundations, law firms, and corporations to fund Casa Cornelia’s mission. The Program is also responsible for engaging these supporters and educating Casa Cornelia’s benefactors about the impact of immigration law and policy on the public good.
In pursuit of the mission of Casa Cornelia Law Center, the Director of Philanthropy will further the vision and strategic capacities necessary for the success of Casa Cornelia Law Center’s Development efforts. The purpose of the position is to lead Casa Cornelia’s development plans and initiatives, oversee the Development Office and staff, and to work with the Executive Director to provide leadership and guidance in support of the Board Development Committee and Board of Directors’ fundraising responsibilities.
Appointment and Accountability:
The Director of Philanthropy will directly report to the Executive Director, and will engage with the Board Development Committee and Board of Directors. The Development Manager and Grants Manager report directly to the Director of Philanthropy.
• Oversee and implement Casa Cornelia’s annual Development Plan.
• Provide leadership, supervision, and management for the Development Office. Work with both the Development Manager and Grants Manager to ensure seamless fundraising strategy throughout the year.
• Work with the Executive Director to manage key relationships with major donors.
• In partnership with the Grants Manager, oversee the grants within Casa Cornelia’s portfolio, and to ensure that all deadlines are met and that all grants relationships are maintained.
• Partner with the Development Manager to ensure that up-to-date materials are available for donors and the public.
• Maintain active and productive relationships with Board members, donors, former clients, prospects, community organizations, faith communities, and foundations.
• Support the Board, especially the Development Committee, in their roles as leaders in growing philanthropic support.
• Provide oversight and input to the planning of the annual La Mancha Awards event.
• In partnership with the Development Team, create, plan, and implement Casa Cornelia’s donor engagement events.
• Have ultimate accountability for the accuracy and integrity of the donor information management system, DonorPerfect.
• Monitor compliance with internal and external gift acceptance policies and procedures.
• Stay current with and communicate knowledge of federal tax legislation as it affects non-profit philanthropy.
• Actively participate in a 2021 Mission Effectiveness evaluation of Casa Cornelia’s Development Program and be open to changes in job responsibilities.
• Assume other duties and/or projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Serve as an active member of Casa Cornelia’s Leadership Team.
This is a full-time position. Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience.
The following are required for appointment as the Director of Philanthropy:
• Demonstrated passion for human rights and access to legal services for indigent populations
• Experience working in diverse and low income communities
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
• 8-10 years+ experience in non-profit sector or in a relevant field
• 5-8 years+ experience supervising others
• Experience in fundraising, development, and grants management
• Demonstrated success in personally cultivating and closing $10,000+ philanthropic gifts
• Experience working with donors, board members, and corporate and foundation partners
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational and project management skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Experience with donor software is required
• Flexibility needed for some evening and weekend hours for special events
• A valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to and from Casa Cornelia and related events
Candidates with the following additional qualifications will be given priority:
• A Master’s degree in a relevant field
• CFRE certification
• Proficiency with Donor Perfect
Email your (1) Cover Letter, (2) Resume, and (3) Three references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Ideally, the start date would be in May 2021.
Casa Cornelia Law Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Director of Philanthropy
Casa Cornelia Law Center is a public interest (non-profit) law firm providing quality pro bono legal services to victims of human and civil rights violations with a primary commitment to the…
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Medical, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance. Additionally, the candidate will qualify for paid and sick time off, twelve paid holidays, retirement plan, bar dues, trainings, and a rewarding and professional work environment.
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Medical, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance. Additionally, the candidate will qualify for paid and sick time off, twelve paid holidays…