The Metropolitan Opera
Available: September 2018
Responsible for financial accounting matters including but not limited to reconciliations and analyses, daily transactions such as wire transfer review and initiation, and processing journal entries.
- Perform daily box office reconciliations; prepare monthly accounting entries for all box office activity; reconcile general ledger accounts related to box office accounts to system reports and other underlying documentation.
- Prepare daily box office reconciliations for third-party rentals; prepare weekly settlement reports with supporting documentation; maintain spreadsheets summarizing costs; reconcile costs with general ledger postings and participate in final reconciliation and billings.
- Manage all merchandising accounting responsibilities including the analysis and review of subsidiary system data, preparation of journal entries, reconciliation of bank, credit card, sales and cost of goods sold activity; coordinate with shop and other staff to trouble shoot and resolve discrepancies; assist in providing reporting; prepare summaries for sales tax reporting.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on a timely basis each month for all accounts requested.
- Participate in the ongoing process to follow up on outstanding checks and in the annual due diligence process for remittance of unclaimed property; reconcile all schedules regularly to the general ledger accounts.
- Maintain accounts receivable billing log and perform monthly reconciliations to identify and assist in the follow up of outstanding amounts.
- Generate, distribute, and follow-up on musical instrument insurance billing.
- Assist in obtaining certificates of insurance as requested.
- Submit periodic incident reports to insurance company.
- Manage Finance office record and document organization establishing and maintaining protocols for retention, access, and storage.
- Review reimbursement requests and other invoices for supporting documentation and validity, as required.
- Initiate wire transfer requests in the various banking systems.
- Prepare and enter journal entries in the general ledger system; maintain approved copies of all journal entries.
- Send monthly American Express activity reports to all cardholders, maintain logs of reports send and received, reconcile undesignated American Express accounts.
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Provide Accounts Receivable back-up including scanning check deposits, preparing cash reports and transporting deposits to the bank.
- Complete other accounting tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- College degree or equivalent, major in accounting.
- 3-5 years accounting experience preferably in a not-for profit.
- Experience with computerized general ledger system.
- Knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, including “Staff Accountant” in the subject line of your e-mail.