999 North Capitol Street Northeast
District of Columbia
NeighborWorks America: Working Together For Strong Communities
Purpose of Division
Finance is a department under the Office of the CFO and is supervised by the Senior Vice President, Controller. Its mission is to provide dependable, responsive financial services and accurate financial information in a customer-oriented and efficient manner. In doing so, our board of directors, along with internal and external customers and members of the NeighborWorks network, are satisfied knowing that the assets and resources entrusted to us by federal taxpayers and numerous supporters in the private sector are properly safeguarded.
Close Date: Posting closes at 12:01am (EST) on the date listed below (the night before at 11:59pm EST).
Performs Finance related duties and carries out responsibilities in the development, implementation and/or maintenance of one or more accounting systems. Work requires the application of professional accounting principles and practices to a variety of work assignments. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Performs monthly complex cash management function by reconciling the corporate operating, investment, and reimbursement bank accounts.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts at the end of each month
- Documenting and monitoring internal controls in support of auditing team
- Assist with the preparation of annual property filings
- Assist with the filing of sales, state charitable solicitation and business licenses
- Analyzes, reconciles, journalizes and closes general accounts
- Provides input to into the goal setting process of the department
- Assist with the preparing of annual audit schedule
- Assist with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual closings
- Provides ongoing accounting support to internal and external customers
- Prepare schedule and fill out 990 forms
- Prepare and record travel card allocations
- Assist with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Assist in preparation of payroll as a backup
- Other job related duties as assigned
Nature of Work Contacts:
NeighborWorks® staff, outside vendors and consultants
(a) Education: A bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field is required. Will consider relevant professional experience in lieu of a degree.
(b) Experience: A minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience working with financial reporting systems (General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Bank Reconciliations, fixed assets depreciation, journal and cash receipt entries) and familiar with GAAP pronouncements
(c) Licenses, Certifications: CPA required
(d) Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of automated accounting systems to resolve problems or recommend improvements, analyze and summarize accounting data, perform reconciliations and prepare financial statements. Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- General knowledge of the accounting principles and practices of financial administration. Demonstrated ability to extract, manipulate, analyze data and run reports from databases preferable NetSuite financial system.
- Strong interpersonal/customer service skills for communication and collaboration with internal staff and consultants. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Aptitude to clarify assigned tasks and expectations and then work independently to complete assignments.
(e) Technology: Advanced excel skills focused on data manipulation using VLOOKUP, pivot tables, slicers, etc. Knowledge of large complex ERP systems such as NetSuite, PeopleSoft, SAP or JD Edwards is required.
(a) Travel: 10%
(b) Physical/Sensory Demands: Fast paced working environment. Extensive computer usage.
Minimum Education Required