908 Wahler Place, SE
District of Columbia
What You Will Do
- Support scholars and staff to enhance reading skills daily (school day: 8:00 AM – 4:15 PM M, T, Th, F and 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM Wed.)
- Use data to identify and support scholars in need of small group or individual intervention/acceleration to achieve reading mastery
- Develop lesson plans, curriculum, and assessments to monitor scholar progress and program effectiveness
- Work with teachers in the administration and interpretation of reading assessment data
- Collaborate with school leaders in planning, conducting, and evaluating professional development around literacy practices
- Communicate frequently with families of scholars you serve
- Engage in additional school-wide responsibilities, such as lunch/recess duty, hallway posts, events committees, etc.
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Embody our core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, andMastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Be on campus from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM daily
- Attend and support monthly Family Nights/events that invite families into the building
- Other duties as required to fulfill our mission in the lives of our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Special Education, or related field
- 4+ years of experience teaching in an urban school setting with children in historically underserved communities
- Training to teach foundational literacy skills
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- 1+ years of experience teaching reading
- 1+ years of experience as a reading specialist
- Experience coaching other teachers
Who We Are
Achievement Prep is a public charter school network committed to historically underserved communities of Southeast Washington, DC. Our elementary school, PreK3 – 3rd grade, includes an early childhood partnership with AppleTree Institute. The flagship middle school is an expanded model that serves 4th – 8th grade. Our mission is to prepare students to excel as high-achieving scholars and leaders in high school, college and beyond.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from direct supervisor
- Regular internal professional development tailored to the requirements of the position and staff needs
- Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
- Compensation & Benefits:
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and benefits
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required