633 South Hawley Road
SEIU Healthcare Wisconsin is seeking a full-time Union Representative / Organizer to work with our healthcare members in the greater Milwaukee region. This is a great opportunity to be on the front lines of the labor movement!
This position is responsible for internally organizing members, contract enforcement, and negotiating new contracts.
In 2018, Wisconsin will have another opportunity to kick Scott Walker out of the Governor’s mansion and put Wisconsin back on track to being a progressive state. Join us on the front lines as we mobilize our members to be more politically engaged during this critical election year.
The incumbent of this position works with the leadership of Bargaining Unit(s), which are assigned to him/her. The incumbent acts as a consultant to the Bargaining Unit leadership assisting them with internal organizational efforts, political/electoral activities, contract negotiations and contract administration. The incumbent looks for ways to build an effective organizational structure for the Union both at the Local and Bargaining Unit level.
- Coordinate contract enforcement from internal organizing through grievance arbitration for assigned Bargaining Unit(s).
2. Develop, implement and evaluate member-centered contract campaigns for assigned Bargaining Units.
3. Serve as Chief Spokesperson for contract negotiations.
4. Develop worksite based communication and representational structures.
5. Assist worksite leaders and Union activists at assigned Bargaining Units to develop skills including group processes, grievance handling, bargaining and political activity.
6. Participate in new organizing efforts of health care workers to strategically augment current collective bargaining agreements (as time permits).
7. Participate in political action activities and, as necessary, lobbying.
8. Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
9. Ability and willingness to travel on a frequent and extensive basis is required.
- Dedication to the Labor and Social Justice Movement.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours as necessary.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of Membership Organizing
- Negotiating Contracts
- Union Representational activities
- Political Participation
- Community Organizing
- Coalition Building
- Labor Union Experience / Connections
No experience is necessary. We will train the right candidate. Preference will be given to candidates currently in Wisconsin or with Wisconsin ties.
Salary and benefits are set by the staff collective bargaining agreement with starting salary of $40,000/annual and benefits including health, dental, vision insurance, pension plan, paid time off, and paid holidays.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
SEIU Healthcare Wisconsin
4513 Vernon Blvd – Suite 300
Madison, WI 53705
Minimum Education Required