3700 N. Capitol St. NW
Sherman Building #217
Creative Minds International Public Charter School (CMIPCS) is seeking an experienced manager and leader accountable for the school’s developing strategy and business plan, for the delivery of high performing operational services, capacity building required to support the school’s current and future expansion, financial sustainability and public compliance of the organization.
CMIPCS is a tuition-free school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its fifth year of operation, CMI serves 341 students in Preschool (3 year olds) through 6th grade. Beginning this school year, CMI expanded to include two 6th-grade classes, marking the opening of its new Middle School. Two sections of 7th grade will be added in 2017-2018 with 2 classes of 8th being offered in the subsequent year.
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society. CMI is a unique and dynamic working environment with a respectful and positive school culture. We offer a highly-engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities with an emphasis in STEAM that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
In partnership with the Executive Director and the Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) oversees the growth strategy for CMIPCS and leads the work to define and deliver operational excellence for the school. The COO will be charged with developing and implementing policies and procedures across various non-instructional functions including operations, administration, finance and HR. The COO manages a team of professionals and leaders, works closely with the Board and other school management to ensure CMIPCS’s sustainability and growth. This is an outstanding opportunity for a seasoned executive with operational and financial experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management expertise to join a high-growth, mission-driven organization. This is a full-time position, with a significant amount of time on campus. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee internal staff & vendors supporting HR; upgrade human resources functions as required, including: compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting.
- Oversee internal staff & external vendors to manage financial operations in the areas of accounting, reporting, banking, budgeting, procurement, compliance, and financial planning.
- Oversee staff and systems for purchasing, procurement, and inventory management, including vendor management and securing administrative supplies, instructional materials, furniture, and equipment.
- Oversee staff to ensure compliance systems and tools are in place such that CMIPCS complies with all federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements to ensure no adverse impact to student and staff welfare, financials, ability to operate and grow, or reputation.
- Oversee grants management to ensure a pipeline of new opportunities and that grants are secured, allocated, budgeted, tracked, and in compliance.
- Oversee staff to ensure facility solutions and plans are in place consistent with the school’s growth, mission and available funds.
- Oversee the school’s management of legal affairs, insurance, and other risk management strategies.
- Oversee internal & external staff and strategies for the planning, implementation, & support of all technology required for CMIPCS to achieve its educational and business goals.
- Ensure staffing, systems, and vendors are in place for food programs with timely, reliable, safe, on-budget, and fully compliant delivery of services.
- Develop, manage, and organize planning around the school’s annual budgeting process; work with the board’s finance committee to transition the development and implementation of the school’s 5 & 10 year models.
- Oversee staff tasked with managing the school’s after-care programs.
Why join CMIPCS?
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society by offering a highly engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. Our dedication to Arts-Integration allows for a creative and collaborative atmosphere, as classroom lead teachers, support staff, and enlightenment teachers all work together to plan engaging and enriching content that weaves the Arts into all subjects.
At CMIPCS, we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social-emotional needs of all children. The CMIPCS teacher is empathetic and welcoming of mistakes (both academic and behavioral) because CMIPCS educators know that mistakes lead to learning opportunities if children are held to high standards.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others.
Level of Language Proficiency
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (MBA preferred).
- Proven track-record planning, leading and managing staff to work collaboratively and achieve individual, team and organizational goals.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively increasing operational, financial and strategic planning experience
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills.
- Entrepreneurial problem-solver with a focus on driving results and continual improvement.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to do whatever it takes for students to achieve & excel
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All interested candidates should use CMIPCS's People Admin Career Portal to apply for open positions:
We will only be contacting candidates selected for interviews and will require letters of recommendation and/or references for any candidates being considered for this position.
Note: Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.