Reports to: Senior Director of Marketing & Communications
Salary: $60,000 - $65,000/year
Transportation Alternatives (TA), New York City's advocate for walking, bicycling, and public transportation, seeks a Marketing Manager to strategize and execute a variety of digital marketing strategies in support of our advocacy, fundraising, and community-building goals. Situated within the Marketing & Communications team of TA, the Marketing Manager will report to TA's Senior Director of Marketing & Communications.
TA’s Marketing Manager is responsible for planning, managing, and evaluating strategies that broaden TA’s constituencies, engage with them, and give them meaningful and easy ways to take action for our movement for better walking, biking, and public transit in New York City.
The Marketing Manager will oversee and execute digital strategies, as well as building on in-person outreach and engagement opportunities in collaboration with TA’s advocacy and fundraising teams.
The Marketing Manager will be responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining constituent engagement “user journeys” that identify touchpoints for stakeholders from local activists to major donors;
- Overseeing TA’s email marketing, including developing and updating our targeted welcome email series;
- Strategizing and implementing TA’s social media and digital advertising campaigns;
- Working with TA’s Development and Advocacy teams on event- and program-specific marketing initiatives;
- Working with communications staff to shape messaging for a variety of audiences;
- Collaborating with TA’s art department on branding and collateral;
- Developing and executing a strategy around content marketing and SEO, including regular updates to transalt.org and other digital properties;
- Setting concrete, numeric goals around reach, engagement and action;
- Continually monitoring and improving marketing practices based on data and analytics;
- Working with TA’s CRM Manager and other staff to make sure data systems and practices are in line with marketing needs and priorities;
- Managing marketing staff and external vendors;
- Maintaining compliance with all digital privacy and security requirements, standards and practices.
This position is located in New York City. Transportation Alternatives’ office is a fast-paced and collaborative work environment working remotely through at least mid-2021.
Qualified candidates will bring with them:
- 3+ years of experience in digital marketing, including familiarity with email marketing, social media advertising and promotion, and content marketing;
- Proven experience in using data to set and track against reach and engagement goals;
- Experience with marketing concepts such as personas, user journeys, touchpoint mapping, and engagement funneling; can easily translate these concepts around a variety of goals in advocacy, fundraising and other activities;
- Familiarity with email marketing tools such as Pardot or Salesforce Marketing Cloud, CRMs such as Salesforce or another, and CMS such as Squarespace or WordPpress;
- Highly analytical; knows which datapoints to collect and which to ignore;
- Comfort and demonstrated experience researching and onboarding new tools and systems, and training other staff in their use; demonstrated ability to identify and create processes where none previously existed;
- Solid copywriting and editing skills; knowledge of writing for SEO;
- Excellent organization and project management skills; constantly striving to plan and understand the next step;
- Comfort under pressure, with tight deadlines and working in a highly participatory environment, including “managing up”;
- Proactivity - does not wait for assignments, but brings ideas and opportunities to manager;
- A communicator, a collaborator and a problem-solver, able to work across teams to find solutions, build systems and move forward;
- Commitment to social justice and antiracism; nuanced understanding of the ways in which our advocacy issues intersect with race and equity.
Exceptional candidates will also bring with them:
- Familiarity and interest in TA’s work and advocacy areas;
- Experience with and knowledge of HTML, CSS, etc.;
- Experience managing marketing staff;
- Experience in event marketing, particularly for fundraisers;
- Familiarity with photo editing, graphic design, video editing, including platforms like Canva
Please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Marketing Manager” in the subject line.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates strongly encouraged to apply.