1613 South Street
Diversified Community Services is a deeply-embedded neighborhood based nonprofit agency serving nearly 8,000 children, youth, adults, and families in the Point Breeze section of South Philadelphia. Diversified is a multi-purpose social service agency emphasizing education and skill-building while providing early childhood education as an integral function of its mission to serve Point Breeze’s low-income community. Diversified has been providing a comprehensive array of services to children and adults in the Point Breeze neighborhood of South Philadelphia for over a century. Services include:
- For young children: Early childhood education
- For school-age youth: Out-of-school time programming (after school and summer camp); and case management for at risk youth
- For adults: Employment training, parenting education, energy assistance programs, housing counseling programs, and financial literacy; and
- For the community at large: Affordable housing and community economic development
Diversified has been a leader in early childhood education for 42 years. Diversified’s childcare centers are nationally recognized and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). NAEYC sets the standard for quality early education with rigorous requirements and regulations regarding programming, staffing, and family and community involvement. Diversified’s centers have also obtained a Keystone STAR 4 and 3 rating. The Keystone STARS is Pennsylvania’s program to improve the quality of early learning. It is a voluntary program that recognizes Department of Public Welfare (DPW) regulated child care providers who exceed state health and safety certification requirements. The Keystone STARS is a nationally recognized quality rating system beginning at STAR One, then progressing up through Two, Three, and Four.
This position is a key member of the Executive Management Team and responsible for the successful leadership and management of their department and organization. In this role the position will participate and collaborate with strategic direction and decisions for Diversified Community Services. The Center Director is responsible for the overall operations of assigned facility, and the administration and development of programs in order to reflect the goals and objectives of the agency. He/She supervises and assesses assigned staff as they carry out their duties in accordance to their job description. There are occasions that it may be necessary for the center director to perform his/her duties outside the physical building that house the Early Childhood program. The center director is responsible for purchasing and storing supplies that are essential to the needs of the program. The nature of the job requires lifting of objects and children.
• Designs and administers program curriculum to promote the growth and development of the children.
• Coordinate regularly scheduled parent meetings in order to address the needs of the families.
• Operates the center in conformity with federal, state, local regulations and any other licensing entity in order to maintain compliance.
• Recommend changes in agency’s standards, procedures and policies.
• Post the vacancies of positions, interview and forward recommendation(s) to the Executive Director.
• Supervises and/or performs the orientation of staff to insure their understanding of the agency’s mission, the center’s philosophy, governing regulations, policies and procedures with which they must comply.
• Supervises and evaluates personnel, paid and volunteer, assigned to the center.
• Approves requests for sick and vacation leave.
• Recommends disciplinary actions, including dismissal.
• Recommends changes in the organizational structure, including the addition or deletion of center positions.
• Schedules work assignments of center personnel.
• Supervises and/or performs the record keeping and insures the safe keeping of such reports and records
- Payroll records
- Leave and vacation requests and records
- Enrollment and attendance records
- Food count records
- Children’s records
- Health and safety inspections
- Personnel records
- Requisitions and inventories
- Financial reports
• Plan and conduct regular meetings and in-service training meetings for center staff.
• Observe ECE/classroom activities.
• Participate in supervisory and administrative staff meetings.
• Recommend expenditure and estimate revenue for future budgets.
• Supervise and/or performs the collection of fees and their safe deposit.
• Assist in the editing and/or writing of the center brochure, center policies and parent booklet.
• Order supplies and equipment.
• Supervise and/or perform children enrollment.
• Maintain physical environment that meet state and local codes and regulations;
• Supervise cleaning and minor repairs; secure janitorial services.
• Develops and maintains effective communication with parents through daily greetings, parent conferences,
regular parent meetings, and written communication.
• Design and carry out activities and programs to meet the special needs of parents and their children as
resources permit; bring to the attention of the Executive Director needed activities and programs beyond the
resources of the center.
• Represent the center at agency and outside meetings.
• Attend meetings that relate to daycare/early childhood/school age programming and at least once
conference or workshop a year.
• Submit verbal or written reports as required.
• Assist in the development of grant requests and proposals; supervise all fund raising activities and events at
• Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time by the Executive Director, either
verbally or in writing.
• Performs any other related duties as required or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings
Management skills—the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth
Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions
Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans
Computer Skills: MS Office including WORD, EXCEL, PowerPoint
Other related skills: The ability to communicate with all levels of the organization. This position also requires a solid, self-directed individual who can excel both independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Candidates must be able to complete tasks according to accepted levels of quality. Experience in a growing entrepreneurial company is preferred.
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field, equivalent combination of acceptable training, education, and experience; five + years of experience in an administrative and supervisory role with duties for children and or youth and the understanding of accreditation standards and practices. Director’s credential preferred.
Medical and Dental Benefits
Sick and Vacation Time
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required