Portland Public Schools is seeking employees to work as GEAR UP College Advocate Mentors (CAMs) for the 2020-2021 school year in the Madison, Jefferson, and Roosevelt clusters, serving 8th graders in middle schools and/or 9th and 12th graders at the high schools.
How to Apply: Visit http://www.pps.net/jobs and Use Job #21397
Hours: This part-time position will begin Monday, August 24th, 2020. During the school year, CAMs must be able to work 10-15 hours a week during school hours (8:15 am-3:15 pm Monday-Friday). Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Mentor I - $13.25 per hour (less than 2 years of college)
- Mentor II - $15.50 per hour (verified 2 years of college - official transcripts required)
- Must be currently enrolled or be enrolled within 90 days of the hire date in a college, trades, internship, or apprenticeship program.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be comfortable speaking in front of a group and sharing personal experiences as a student.
- Experience and/or ability to work with and appreciate individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, students, parents, and other members of the school community.
- Must be able to plan, prepare, design, and lead mini-lessons, workshops, and panels in subjects related, but not limited to socio-emotional skills, non-cognitive skills, financial aid and scholarship access, the college application process, and college and career decision making.
- Must be familiar with or willing to learn to use the following G Suite applications: Gmail, Google docs (including spreadsheets, slides, forms), Google Meet, Google Classroom
- Familiarity with the schools and communities GEAR UP serves.
- Experience working with middle and/or high school youth.
- Completion of leadership development course or demonstrated experience in a leadership role.
- One year, or more, experience as GEAR UP College Advocate Mentor.
- Preference will be given to those who are Work-Study eligible.
- Preference will be given to DACA students.
- Preference will be given to bilingual applicants.