89 South Street
South Africa Partners, a non-profit organization, seeks a full time Senior Accountant Manager who will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities.
About South Africa Partners
Established in 1998, South Africa Partners’ work is rooted in the understanding that the end of apartheid did not end the exclusion of South Africa’s majority from access to the foundations of a just democracy. For over 20 years, we have worked with our partners in government, private industry, civil society and academia towards closing this gap, to provide access to quality health and education for all. Working between South Africa and the U.S., we catalyze change across sectors, disciplines and borders to improve health and education outcomes in underserved South African communities. Serving as a catalyst and incubator for innovative approaches, South Africa Partners links people, strengthens communities, promotes social justice and fosters leadership in both countries. The mutually beneficial partnerships we have built between South Africa and the United States have unlocked an invaluable exchange of human and financial resources towards common goals.
Our current work focuses on three areas:
- Providing care and support to people living with and at risk for HIV/AIDS
- Increasing the capacity of health leaders to drive health system transformation
- Supporting young children to reach their full potential in life through child development initiatives
The fiscal year 2018 budget is $7.3 million, supported by federal grants, foundation grants, and private donations. The South Africa Partners headquarters is in Boston and there is a country office in Johannesburg, South Africa. South Africa Partners employs 8 people in Boston and approximately 30 people in South Africa.
Working Hours: Full-time
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
Reporting: Reports to the Director of Finance and Administration
The Senior Accountant Manager, located in Boston, will manage all aspects of accounting from payroll to tax compliance and assist with the development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning. She/he is accountable for production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a set of comprehensive controls and budgets to enhance the accuracy of reported financial results and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and other international financial reporting standards. She/he works in partnership with the controller in South Africa and is responsible for consolidating reports from South Africa and Boston. The Finance Manager/Controller works closely with the senior leadership team. The Finance Manager/Controller will prepare reports for the Board Finance Committee.
- Manage the full range of accounting activities including accounting, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, tax audit coordination, accounts payable/receivables, purchasing, payroll, cash management, and insurance.
- Evaluate current accounting processes and procedures, identify opportunities for improvement, and implement appropriate changes.
- Present financial information to the Board in a clear and concise manner.
- Oversee payroll and tax planning and filing.
- Oversee government grant accounting.
- Implement process for independent audit and ensure completion in a timely manner.
- Ensure consolidated financial reporting and practices are in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare budgets and financial forecasts, including monitoring and analyzing monthly operating results against budget.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, or Management concentration required. CPA or MBA a plus
- 5+ years’ experience in financial management, specifically in developing and managing budgets in a non-profit environment; preparation and analysis of financial reports, and administrative coordination experience
- Familiarity with US Government, USAID, CDC cooperative agreement rules and regulations
- International non-profit experience desired
- Proficiency using QuickBooks
- Proficiency using Excel and Microsoft Office
- Absolute honesty and integrity; ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Above average level of analytical, reasoning and problem solving ability
- Demonstrated and consistent use of good judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with cross cultural team members
- Ability to take direction and learn new skills and applications
- Ability to follow established processes and procedures
- Ability to recommend (and implement) appropriate changes when needed
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple and competing assignments
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to pay attention to details requiring a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to follow-through and complete assignments
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to recruitment @sapartners.org by April 27. AA/EOE.