For more than 60 years, TSNE MissionWorks (formerly Third Sector New England) (www.tsne.org) has been a trusted partner to hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community groups, activists, and advocates who are making a difference in their communities, our country, and the world.
The management and consulting services, training programs, and community-based grants and investments we offer are designed to meet the needs of complex and growing organizations by strengthening communication and leadership skills, facilitating learning and strategic thinking, and providing practical and operational support to individuals—all toward the goal of increasing their mission impact. Our ongoing partnerships with foundations, service providers, community groups, nonprofits and thought leaders provide us with opportunities for reflection and learning – which strengthens our own programs and services and provides an opportunity to explore trends in the nonprofit sector. We continue to deepen our partnerships, expand our programs and resources, evolve to meet the needs of a rapidly changing nonprofit landscape, and pursue excellence in the services we offer to hundreds of mission-driven organizations every year—so together we can create a more just and democratic society.
ResponsibilitiesTSNE's Fiscal Sponsorship service supports more than 55 nonprofit organizations, providing operational, financial and management support including human resources and legal advisement, payroll and accounting support, and grants and finance management. The Director of Fiscal Sponsorship (DFS) will be responsible for implementing strategies and managing the coordination and administration of TSNE's fiscal sponsorship services, ensuring effective service delivery, process, procedures and controls, quality improvement and team development.
The Director of Fiscal Sponsorship will lead and nurture a dedicated, diverse, effective, and collaborative team of managers and staff to ensure our Fiscal Sponsor services are effective, high quality, responsive and aligns to TSNE's mission, vision, and values and the needs of the sector. The DFS will ensure the fiscal sponsorship team develops proactive and facilitative relationships with all stakeholders including donors, funders, project directors, staff, volunteers, constituents, advisory board members, and more, and be a visionary and effective people and change champion.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a nonprofit organization or expertise developing, managing and refining fiscal sponsorship services, with strong knowledge of programmatic strategies, a clearly articulated and demonstrated commitment to equity and racial equity, a collaborative and solution-focused sensibility, and possess strong and clear writing and oral communication skills.
Leadership and Management
- Lead and supervise the Finance Team, each of whom has a portfolio of fiscally sponsored organizations with individual project budgets ranging from $100,000 - $5M; manage enterprise wide strategic projects as needed;
- Ensure the Fiscal Sponsorship staff support the organizational development of fiscally sponsored organizations including in the areas of financial planning and analysis, donor and advisory board relationship management, grant application and management, program development, governance and general organizational strategy;
- Oversee the professional growth of staff within the department with an emphasis on excellence in customer service, with a focus on nonprofit organizational and operational support, financial forecasting and analysis, reporting, and other areas that support general organizational health;
- Manage the work of Fiscal Sponsorship including ensuring equitable work distribution among the staff, coordination of cross functional collaboration, and maintaining open communication and ongoing evaluation of staff, workflows, policies and procedures;
- Refine and lead onboarding and training for new members joining the team;
- Partner with departmental leaders to review, revise, and implement new policies and procedures for Fiscal Sponsorship services;
- Identify and address a variety of Fiscally Sponsored Organizations matters as needed.
Fiscal Sponsorship Operations
- Provide support to the team on matters of organizational development, programming and fundraising with their fiscally sponsored organizations;
- Implement and maintain a policy and process for developing and supporting fiscally sponsored organizations' advisory boards;
- Ensure a proactive approach to mitigating operational issues, complaints and risks with fiscally sponsored organizations;
- Develop and enhance standard internal procedures and tools to ensure effective services, including the implementation of standard budgeting and forecasting tools;
- Serve as a resource for staff on operational and financial management best practices;
- Oversee and ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial and operational reports for the Fiscal Sponsorship service and for fiscally sponsored organizations;
- Ensure the Fiscal Sponsorship team reviews reports with fiscally sponsored organizations to ensure integrity of information and the financial health of fiscally sponsored projects;
- Keep up to date on federal, state, and local laws related to nonprofits and grants and finance management and ensure compliance across the department by communicating appropriately;
- Monitor timeliness of reports to funders and other external stakeholders;
- Partner with departmental leaders to identify and address continuous improvement opportunities for Fiscal Sponsorship services including addressing complex, strategic issues within fiscally sponsored projects.
Complete other tasks and projects related to the job, as needed.Qualifications
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Eight or more years of experience in a nonprofit leadership position;
- Strong supervision experience required;
- Prior experience working in grants and finance management;
- Strong project management skills;
- Outstanding relationship management skills with significant experience;
- Experience in designing and implementing a program or service line;
- Experience working on and/or with advisory boards;
- Some nonprofit organizational development experience;
- Some experience with fundraising and development;
- Proficiency with MS Office suite;
- Knowledge in Salesforce, Intacct, and/or Concur is a plus;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Demonstrated skill in providing a high level of service to multiple clients, ideally in a nonprofit context;
- Experience working as part of a team delivering coordinated services highly desirable;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated diplomacy and tact;
- Good creative problem-solving skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced work environment;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials or equipment;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed at our main office (89 South St. Boston, MA 02111). Work is currently 100% remote due to COVID-19.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $120,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff;
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim;
- Low-cost Guardian Dental and Vision;
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care;
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance;
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA;
- ...and more!
TSNE envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/Y76N8BuJbWddfbMlfVpZX" />