NASTAD is a non-profit, non-partisan association that represents public health officials who administer HIV and hepatitis health care, prevention, education, and supportive service programs funded by state and federal governments in all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the U.S. Pacific Islands. NASTAD also supports partner governments in Africa, the Central America region, and the Caribbean region.
NASTAD's vision is a world free of HIV and viral hepatitis
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key member of NASTAD’s senior staff, responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the organization’s overall financial strategy. The CFO will perform effective risk management, analysis, financial reporting and forecasting. The CFO will guide financial decision-making and provide strategic financial input to senior management.
The CFO role will be a hands on role with the expectation they will be assisting with the monthly close process and other hands on activities. This person must also be well-versed in all aspects of non-profit financial management ranging from simple accounting to broad investment and banking operations. The ideal candidate will be a working CFO in addition to an excellent leader that can help manage the financial aspects of the organization.
- Drive the company’s financial planning
- Perform risk management by analyzing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Decide on investment strategies by considering cash and liquidity risks
- Evaluate the organization’s fundraising plans and capital structure
- Ensure cash flow is appropriate for the organization’s operations
- Manage vendor relationships
- Prepare reliable current and forecasting reports
- Ensure compliance with the law and company’s policies
- Manage team of financial professionals.
Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance or relevant field; 10 years of work experience directly related to non-profit management; or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position
- Proven experience as CFO, finance officer or relevant role with a solid work history
- In depth knowledge of corporate financial law and risk management practices
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP)
- Ability to strategize and solve problems
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and people skills
- CPA is a strong advantage
Skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team
- Oral Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others
- Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed
- Building Collaborative Relationships: The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support
- Advanced Written Communication: The ability to use formal writing styles or advanced literary techniques and formats suited to the audience.
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
- Strategic Thinking: The ability to analyze the organization's competitive position by considering market and industry trends, existing and potential stakeholders (internal and external), and strengths and weaknesses as compared to other organizations.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Results Orientation: The ability to focus on the desired result of one's own or one's unit's work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
- Developing Others: The ability to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach them to develop their capabilities.
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with a national HIV and viral hepatitis public health organization
- Interest in working within a diverse environment