Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal representation for our clients on a wide range of matters that impact their lives including housing, education, employment and immigration. We are one of the largest public defense providers; representing people who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and fast-paced setting.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) seeks an advocate with a commitment to social justice to join our Civil Justice Practice (CJP) as an Affordable Housing Specialist. The Affordable Housing Specialist will work directly with BDS clients facing housing instability or in need of relocation assistance, support individuals and families applying for, or struggling to use, vouchers and programs, process affordable housing lottery applications, and provide guidance and direct assistance in conducting an individual housing search. The role also involves community engagement and development of guides and materials as well as engagement in policy and advocacy around affordable-housing related matters. The ideal candidate is someone with strong multi-disciplinary advocacy skills and knowledge of and a demonstrated commitment to housing security and familiarity with serving clients and communities involved in the criminal, family and immigration justice systems.
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and resources about housing options in New York City
· Developing contacts with landlords and brokers to connect clients with suitable vacancies
· Advocating directly on behalf of clients with landlords, brokers, and city agencies to facilitate client approvals for vouchers and apartments
· Running a weekly clinic at the BDS Community Office to provide walk-in advice to individuals seeking affordable housing
· Serving as BDS’ HPD Housing Ambassador providing assistance with affordable housing lottery applications
· Providing case-specific advice and assistance to BDS staff in other units
· Participating in task forces and work groups and assisting in developing policy initiatives related to combating housing discrimination and increasing access to affordable housing
· Willingness to have a high level of client interaction and able to provide compassionate assistance to clients in crisis
· Demonstrated sound judgment and attention to detail
· Strong interpersonal, project and time management skills, and a demonstrated ability to both lead and work collaboratively with others
· Creativity, determination, and a passion for helping others
· Fluency in a second language is preferred
· Experience with direct client case management and advocacy, or knowledge of affordable housing programs, public benefits, and/or NYC real estate preferred
· Lived personal experience of housing insecurity and instability preferred
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal representation for…
Interested applicants should sent a resume and cover letter via email to Bill Bryan at email@example.com with “Affordable Housing Specialist” in the subject line. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted. Please note that this is a non-attorney position and attorneys will not be considered.
Interested applicants should sent a resume and cover letter via email to Bill Bryan at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Affordable Housing Specialist” in the subject line. Only applicants…