COMMUNITY TREE PLANTING MANAGER
Classification and Time: Full-time, Exempt
Annual Salary: $46,000 - $53,000 DOE
Benefits: Full health, dental and vision per FUF Employee Handbook dated September 2017
Reports to: Tree Planting Program Manager
Date: September 7, 2018
About Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF)
Friends of the Urban Forest is a non-profit organization that helps individuals and neighborhood groups to plant and care for street trees and sidewalk gardens in San Francisco. By making San Francisco greener, FUF supports the health and livability of the urban environment. Since 1981, FUF has planted more than 60,000 trees, totaling almost half of the city's street tree canopy.
As an integral member of FUF’s Tree Planting Program Team, the Community Tree Planting Manager coordinates with property owners, public agencies and vendors to plan and implement community tree planting projects. The Tree Planting Program annually plants over 1,500 trees in neighborhoods throughout San Francisco using a community planting model involving tree recipients, neighborhood and corporate volunteers, and FUF staff.
This position requires a background in arboriculture or horticulture and strong organizational skills. The Community Tree Planting Manager works closely with the Program Manager, other planting managers, community engagement staff, community members, community groups, government departments or agencies, vendors and FUF volunteers.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Survey neighborhoods to determine site suitability, above and underground utility locations, tree species, tree basin readiness and specific neighborhood context.
- Conduct community meetings for planting groups to explain the FUF planting process, property owner responsibilities, and schedule.
- Coordinate with Public Works’ Bureau of Urban Forestry on tree locations, existing conditions and tree species as needed.
- Communicate with all involved project members.
- Notify Underground Service Alert for all new trees as needed.
- Approve tree locations and mark sidewalks for cutting as needed, observing USA markings and all city guidelines.
- Coordinate tree species selection, contractors and material orders necessary to complete planting projects.
- Collect and track all income and ensure that all project invoices for expenses are approved for payment upon receipt and forwarded to the bookkeeper.
- Collect all necessary completed forms and ensure that all required permits and required paperwork are completed prior to proceeding with any property alteration.
- Update and maintain the FUF database with each planting site and tree planted.
- Coordinate with the Volunteer Manager to ensure adequate volunteer coverage on workdays.
- Schedule and supervise FUF Planting Leaders for planting events and provide feedback on planting and leadership skills.
- Coordinate and supervise workdays that include map preparation, ensure a safe work environment, and educate and supervise volunteers.
- Conduct 2-month surveys on all trees planted, and perform necessary tree care including re-tying, re-staking and sometimes replanting.
- Complete Project Reports in a timely fashion, providing complete and accurate information on accounting and the project narrative, enabling others to invoice and report to funders.
- Maintain and track materials and trees in inventory and provide accurate records as needed.
- Maintain tools, tool shed and FUF vehicles in clean working order.
- Using design software, create and update maps, graphics, spreadsheets and other documents as needed.
- Keep up-to-date with all correspondence.
- Update database with property owner contact information, planted tree data and other data as needed.
- Assist in the planning of, attend and participate in FUF special events.
- Attend neighborhood meetings and special events to promote the value of trees and FUF’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry preferred.
- A background in urban forestry, arboriculture or horticulture.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- ISA Arborist Certification or attained within a reasonable amount of time and maintained through ISA or other educational opportunities.
- A valid CA driver’s license with a clean driving record and valid vehicle insurance if driving a personal car for work.
- Applicant must submit to a record check and fingerprinting per California Penal Code section 11105.3 as it relates to their work with minors in the Green Teens Program.
- The ability to lift 40 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather and working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Office workspace and cubicle assignments change from time-to-time and employees should not have any expectation that any assignment is permanent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and crawling. The employee must frequently lift and move items over 40 pounds, and load tools and planting materials into and out of vehicles.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
40 hours per week including evening meetings and Saturday plantings.
If interested and qualified, please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Minimum Education Required