1016 West Argyle St.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association: Employment Associate - AmeriCorps
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking an AmeriCorps member to serve as an Employment Associate within CMAA’s adult education and employment programs program. The Employment Associate will assist the Employment Coordinator in supporting unemployed and underemployed adults in accessing employment services, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews, and ensuring client retention in employment. This a full-time position with an engagement of one year.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and display a deep commitment to offering high-quality services to the immigrant community. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle multiple projects independently. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn about and engage various ethnic and low-income communities, and to contribute to a forward-thinking team dedicated to building a sustainable Adult Education and Workforce Department.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is a fast-paced organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of low-income youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Adult Education and Workforce Department provides English as a Second Language, Financial Literacy, and Computer classes, and assists clients with transitioning into the workforce, through workshops and individualized counseling.
The Employment Associate is responsible for the following:
● Providing employment counseling and develops individual employment plans (IEPs) for limited-English proficient and disadvantaged community members; conducting client orientation to CMAA services and client skills assessment
● Monitoring client and employer satisfaction; regularly following up with clients and employers; monitoring client data and referrals; maintaining case files and entering case notes into agency-wide database
● Recruiting and supporting volunteers within the employment program
● Working with Employment Coordinator and Adult Education staff to develop and plan job fairs, job trips, and employment workshops for workforce and adult education clients
● Coordinating digital literacy and financial literacy workshops for workforce and adult education clients
We’re seeking candidates who are passionate about working with immigrant communities, are strong communicators, and excel in relationship building. You should have:
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a strong interest in working with a limited English proficient population
● Experience managing multiple projects and a demonstrated ability to adhere to deadlines
● Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
This is a VOCAL AmeriCorps volunteer position. The selected candidate will not earn a traditional salary, but rather a small stipend to cover living expenses. To learn more about the VOCAL AmeriCorps program, visit http://lvillinois.org/vocal_americorps.aspx.
Category: Full-Time AmeriCorps Member - 1700 hours
Term: 1 year, from Sept. 1, 2018 – Aug. 31, 2019
Hours: 40 hours a week, 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend hours
Compensation: $1,144 monthly living expenses stipend (for a total $13,732 yearly)
Benefits: ♦ Bi-weekly living allowance based on $13,732 a year ♦ Health insurance and (income-based) child care ♦ Student Loan Deferral though CNCS for the duration of the service year ♦ Initial, in-service and on-the-job training ♦ Post service educational award of $5,920
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in a second language is a plus but not required. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required for this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Before applying, please confirm your ability to complete the full year AmeriCorps service term and to financially support yourself during that time, as the $13,732 stipend is minimal. Learn more about AmeriCorps here: http://lvillinois.org/vocal_americorps.aspx.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Gisella Faggi, Manager of Civics and Community Integration, at email@example.com by August 20th.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.