Details: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Democrats for Education Reform, a national political organization that supports elected Democrats and candidates for office who seek to expand policies and practices that work well for America’s students and confront those that do not, seeks a Vice President of Communications who will oversee and execute our efforts to communicate that we are education progressives who prioritize students and families, especially low-income students and students of color who should be better served by our country’s public education system.
The Vice President, in collaboration with the National Director of Strategic Communications and the Senior Leadership Team, will devise and execute effective communications strategies that amplify the organization’s brand as a leading champion for students and educational equity. The Vice President will also support the organization’s state chapters in crafting and executing effective communications strategies in DFER’s seven states and the District of Columbia.
Specifically, we are seeking someone who will:
- Help create and implement a strategic communications program that is designed to develop and reinforce our role and reputation in the Democratic Party.
- Implement a day-to-day communications strategy that will enhance our profile, advance our national message, and further our policy and political leadership.
- Coordinate closely with internal leadership to execute communications activities that leverage organizational activities and opportunities in the news cycle.
- Help manage staff, consultants, and vendors effectively in pursuing the organization’s communications goals.
Major Job Duties:
- Proactively pitch and land news and opinion coverage that spreads our message of progressive educational equity and opportunity.
- Respond to media requests and facilitate preparation and execution of interviews with key staff.
- Build and manage targeted press lists; establish ongoing media relationships.
Messaging and Content Development
- Support and spread our national message through diverse channels ranging from earned and paid media, digital, video, podcast, conferences and speaking opportunities.
- Write dynamic and persuasive communications materials – including press releases, op-eds, remarks, briefing materials, video scripts and more.
- Identify opportunities to support national initiatives and develop communications materials and programs to promote and publicize these activities.
- Serve as a support for national team and each of our eight state chapters.
- Help build and manage a small team, including outside consultants.
- Oversee and execute communications team processes.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- 6-10 years of relevant communications experience with at least 2 years of project management experience.
- Proven experience developing and executing communications plans, with a strong emphasis on earned media outcomes.
- The ideal candidate will be assertive, with an interest in proactively building the profile of the organization and its leaders and pitching day-to-day stories as well as building long-term narratives.
- Dedication to our mission and commitment to policy reforms that will improve educational opportunities for all students, particularly students of color and low-income students.
- Interest in politics and advocacy on both a national and state legislative level. Government, campaign, or advocacy experience strongly preferred.
· Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues in senior leadership, attention to detail, confidentiality, time management, flexibility.
· A sense of humor and humility, comfort with complexity.
- A strong racial and social justice lens.
- Position is based in New York City.
Commitment to Diversity: Democrats for Education Reform seeks individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this position. DFER continuously ensures that an equity lens and a specific focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion is present in each aspect of our work and embedded into our organizational fabric.
DFER is proud to offer excellent benefits: health and dental coverage; life insurance; short- and long-term disability; 401K with a match plan; flexible spending/benefits plan; holidays and vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply as soon as possible, even if you are not available to start immediately. All applications are held in strict confidence. Very competitive salary and a generous benefits package are included. Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter and at least three professional references (references are not contacted until you have had a successful interview and are notified) to: email@example.com.